Engine noise is back!

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Janet

Re: Engine noise is back!

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote: no real variation with load or revs. Once it starts it is there all the time unless you shut off the throttle, it is often an erratic sound and not in time with the engine if that makes any sense....
The only thing I can think of is your heart pounding because of the fear of going so fast on such a flying machine.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Had a similar problem many years ago on a previous bike.
The erratic noise was eventually traced to excess wiring inside the headlamp "knocking" against the headlamp shell.
Some self-adhesive foam cured the problem.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I had an annoying rattle for years on my little 1936 250 AJS. not in time with the engine, engine running at any speed or stationary. Then I noticed the little round rear lamp glass ( not plastic ) rattling. I sealed it in the rim with sealer, but the rattle never stopped. So I ignored it. Another year or two later, I was changing down the gears just before reaching my home. I open the throttle a little for the finale little slope up to my drive. Nothing happened no gears???? The bike pushed OK , in gear??? gearbox sprocket had come off. There was no visible thread for the nut to go back on, put the thing in gear and out popped the threaded part. Put the sprocket and nut back on, no more rattle, So for years the gearbox sprocket nut was off, casing the rattle, Amazing the sprocket stayed on for so long. Similar rattles have been, broken primary chain rollers in chain case. Fractured fairing bracket, loose encapsulated nut. Car noises have been, high pitched whistle, the faster I went the louder it got, cause, fracture in telescopic metal Arial acted like a whistle reed. Then an almost new car purchased, produced a funny knock each time I went round a bend, I eventually found it was cased by a cricket ball under the drivers seat. What will you eventfully find on your bike ???
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote:The only thing I can think of is your heart pounding because of the fear of going so fast on such a flying machine.
Love it!! :rofl: :rofl:
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Just put a one step cooler plug in (NGKB8ES) and the timing was spot on!! but considering what I had said about the slightly higher comp ratio on the JP piston fitted I have retarded it a tad. I can see the ADV/RTD weights expanding and contacting ok. I have also put a few small pads where the side panels touch the metal frame to ensure no knocking there. I am going out for a short ride before work in a mo, will come back with the results..
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

My commiserations, Paul. You deserve better after all your work outdoors and in the kitchen.
My first thought was carb slide as was Rob Currie's. Then maybe to try with non Premium fuel......
Look, titter if you must, and I've no idea why I'm exposing myself to easy ridicule, but if it's not something obvious or simple it must be something daft.......and it doesn't happen when th'engine is revved when stationary or on the overrun (which may be simply because it's not under load).

I have only listened to the clip on my laptop speaker but the noise seems to become most obvious from about 1min 10secs til the end. At the very same time (1m10s) the speedo needle starts really oscillating and continues to do so til the end of the clip. Plus it sounds to me to oscillate in time with about a one second phased surging of the noise.

It's not worth a special trip but before you go out next just disconnect the speedo drive at rear wheel. (Not at the speedo head end). Humour me, eh?
(I suppose you're going to come back from the ride to say the plug and timing change has sorted it. Hope so :oops: )
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
raffles

Post by raffles »

check the splines on the engine sprocket and crank driveshaft
raffles
Janet

Post by Janet »

SPRIDDLER wrote:It's not worth a special trip but before you go out next just disconnect the speedo drive at rear wheel. (Not at the speedo head end). Humour me, eh?
Reminds me of the time I was riding Glyn's Goldwing when there developed a terrible screaming sound. I checked and it definitely wasn't coming from me, even though I was apparently going though a village at 140mph.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

I was told of someone who purchased a new Allegro, or similar Longbridge product that made a metallic tap, sometimes on cornering, sometimes when braking, but not predictable. He enlisted a friend to try to locate the noise as they went round and round a car park. It was finally traced to the back door. When the lining was removed, a short length of string attached to a piece of scrap steel was revealed. Written on the masking tape holding the string in place was "bloody annoying, wasn't it?" There must have been a sit-in the week it was built.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

1pm Paul went on his ride hoping to discover the source of the noise, is he still out there riding after 5 hours and still not discovered the cause? or ..... the noise got really bad and he's still waiting somewhere for the breakdown truck.