Engine noise is back!

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
robcurrie

Re: Engine noise is back!

Post by robcurrie »

Maybe the noise stopped and he is enjoying the ride while he can!
My 'bike rattles and vibrates and makes knocking noises so I always wear earplugs, nothing has broken or fallen off in the last three years, so the noises can't be serious.

Rob C
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi back from my ride!!! decided to stay out and go to work on the bike as the weather was fine and I have just got home( most of it was work!!). Well, gave the bike a bit of a workout, pulling away from 30 in top (which will labour the engine as I have a 20 tooth gearbox sprocket fitted in place of the 18) and the opposite end, taking it up to 60 in 3rd before changing up and then riding at 60 and also riding at 45/50 mph as in the clip and I couldn't detect any major noise like in the clip???(except the tappets which seem noisy even though they are adjusted correctly). It was windy and it's often difficult to hear with a head on wind but previously the noise was obvious, now I am trying to hear it.. next time I go out I will put the camera on again as that picks up everything and see what happens then. One thing I noticed or it could possibly be my imagination was that the bike seemed more lively and willing to go rather than before where it seemed to be fighting against itself if that makes any sense??? Maybe the colder plug did it or retarding the timing a tad was the answer (if it has been answered!!) or even the pads on the side panels or a combination of all three, who knows? Only time will tell if it has gone for good!! Thanks for all of your suggestions and theories and especially Neville's one regarding the speedo... interesting, will look into that (BTW, any way to stop the waving speedo needle?)
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Paul, i don't have the technology to video a ride out but your bike sound very much like mine. If anything the only noise i have that seems excessive is from the tappets. I have adjusted them per the manual but as there is nothing to measure with feeler gauges its just down to interpretation of the right amount of resistance of spin on each push rod.

Anyway waving speedo needle has affected both my speedo's When the first one started to do it - a bit at first then lots and finally a full swing to the left and right i decided to fit my other unit. |I knew this wasn't in as good a shape as if shook the mileometer numbers revolved round on there own! This unit also waved around very erratically. The correct speedo's are hard to find so i took the plunge and have sent both unts to a well known repairer in Hants who says both are fixable but he's just waiting for new bezels.

In the mean time in ordered a replacement Indian speedo- not exactly the same 80 MPH top speed but the size is correct. Shipped via fleabay from India for an all inclusive price of £12. what could possibly go wrong!

Its for a bloomin Enfield of course and the speedo cables totally different - I wasn't aware of this so promptly ordered new cable fitted it and whey hey the speedo still waggled badly.

Its a new speedo with a new cable and yes its India so the quality might be a bit dubious but its all new so logic says the only other thing is the speedo drive from the rear wheel- yep you guessed its knackered.

Brought a new one from club spares and now the speedo works and only waggles when i get the bike going so fast if goes off the clock........... 2:1 matchless ratio is not the same as what the Enfield speedo is calibrated for so an indicated 50 is 30, 60 is 40,70 is 50 so at 60 + the clock shows eighty then waggles.

Ho hum - waiting for originals to return then try again with a new cable. - this is a long winded way of saying check the speedo gearbox!!

Cheers
Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks Steve, that's something else for me to check out when I next have the misfortune to have to take the rear wheel out, which is a pain in itself..
Paul
1960 Model 8
REW

Post by REW »

For what it's worth Paul, some of the most intractable noises I have had with bikes (of any make) over the years have concerned the chain and sprockets. A dry chain, a worn chain, a slightly hooked sprocket, tight and slack spots - all can and do generate noises which can be worrying until tracked down. Badly aligned or loose chain guards add to the din too.

Typically the noise is independent of engine speed or gear, obviously, but relates to road speed and whether the bike is driving or coasting. A new chain and sprocket set, well adjusted and lubricated cures many ills and, um, empties the wallet for good measure.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Janet

Post by Janet »

REW wrote: A new chain and sprocket set, well adjusted and lubricated cures many ills
Not so easy to get for lightweights.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ozmadman wrote:I have just got home( most of it was work!!). Well, gave the bike a bit of a workout,.....I couldn't detect any major noise....but previously the noise was obvious, now I am trying to hear it.. ...
And whilst I'm still on the Silly Step; did you fill up with fuel whilst out ? An empty or nearly empty tank makes a far more efficient amplifier of vibration rattles or knocks than when it's full.

(Straws, clutching, etc......)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

SPRIDDLER wrote: And whilst I'm still on the Silly Step; did you fill up with fuel whilst out ? An empty or nearly empty tank makes a far more efficient amplifier of vibration rattles or knocks than when it's full.
(Straws, clutching, etc......)
No actually it was done with the same amount or less as the time went on. Went out today though and did fill it up and yes there were different noises it seemed. Didn't detect too much again(apart from the noisy tappets again that seem louder than ever?) and had the occasion, well need, to get up to a scary 70mph (60mph limit)... was overtaking on a country road guy doing about 45mph and I didn't have too long to get past. Bike went well and there was still some left, great sound but talk out loud!!! no baffles in the exhaust god knows how loud it was on the outside of my padded helmet!!! Will camera my next ride out and see whether it is solved or whether my ears are deceiving me..
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Got a decent open face helmet today, one that actually fits properly and the bike has gone quiet all of a sudden!!! It fits a treat, is very light and is a road legal low profile design unlike many of this type of helmet which are too bulbous and look ridiculous

http://www.fatskeleton.co.uk/index.php/ ... gory_id=35
Paul
1960 Model 8
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I can understand why it's better than your old 'Surround Sound' helmet, Paul!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'