Kick start lever

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Janet

Re: Kick start lever

Post by Janet »

Mea culpa. :oops: Well not regarding clutch centres ( that wasn't me ) but I haven't given any indication of parts I think should be sourced. This is because I've spent such a lot of time in the black hole where I try to mend my bike and haven't finished my list of useful items.
Well, actually, I did say to Gary that I would like to see rear wheel sprockets made for lightweights because they're consumable items and the bikes won't work without one. Clearly I was letting my experience with Japanese bikes fool me because he laughed at this idea. Maybe it's the brake drum I should be worried about since they ( complete with sprocket ) are available for some heavyweights so, presumably, must wear out. I am afraid to mention any other part.

Well, maybe I could whisper very quietly 'rear suspension units'.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Shhh! Whisper it more quietly. Actually we're looking into rear shock absorbers for L/Wts. Again it'll be a numbers game as the 350 market is small compared to the 250's.

As for sprockets, well as they're bolt on that shouldn't be too difficult but as with most things we need good samples to work from and to supply to manufacturers. With sprockets it's not quite so bad as the chain pitch size determines the size and shape in relation to the number of teeth.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Ah Ha lightweight shocks much needed exactly the same for both the 250 & 350 road models - CS is different.

A little bird told me whilst at Mallory park at the weekend that the club had received a sample but there was a problem with the bottom shock mount.

I have been trying to get a pair of new replacements for a long time - mine look OK but have long since lost there ability to damp.

Happy to trial the first pair let me known when and at what price.

Cheers

Steve - Oh yeh Janets right about rear sprokets- can we have some of those please as well.

Er - cam followers too?????
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I will second all those lightweight suggestions above but my old parts list shows 3 different shocks for the 14(G2) 8 (G5) and CS models so what the actual difference is needs to be determined. If it is just the loading then maybe one compromise could be made and save the club having to finance 3 types. At the end on the day a pair of good "compromise" shocks has to be better than a pair of knackered sticks of liquorice !! I would be up for a 55 tooth rear sprocket and a pair of cam followers
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Difference in the shocks are mainly length and spring loads. The 350 has longer shocks to accommodate the 18" wheels. The springs for CS models heavier. CS are a no go as simply not enough were produced. We have a set of 350 shocks and need a 250 type as a sample same with rear sprocket. Cam followers highly unlikely as even the current manufacturer has dropped them as they're not profitable enough for him to make any more due to small demand. If there is enough genuine orders (unlike the clutch centres) then maybe he'll have a change of heart.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Preferably a 54 tooth rear sprocket for me please (wot wiv it being the fast sporty CSR model ) but I'll compromise with a 55 tooth if necessary as it fits the same hub as the bog standard ordinary slower everyday model. ;)

I suppose the simple answer is that we want every single part to be available very cheaply but some people may consider that to be unreasonable.

I'm beginning to think these suggestions need collating along with compiling a list of parts from other machines that will do the job if the proper one is unobtainable. ( Yes, I really do have a coil from a Honda CD175 on Nellie ) Perhaps this is a job that a committee member could do in his spare time. :rofl:
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Good idea Janet.
You could raise it at the AGM, I'm sure that many will support the proposal - I'm just waiting to hear a collective chorus "The club should ......................"

:lol: :rofl: :headbang:
kayaker

Post by kayaker »

Always going to be a tricky decision for sure
ditchweed

Post by ditchweed »

theres a copy of the spares list here if your still looking