Kick start lever

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
kayaker

Kick start lever

Post by kayaker »

Hi there,
I have recently acquired a model 8 having MOT'd it successfully, now I find the kickstart lever has broken, looking for a new bolt it appears that it is not an AMC item, so what is it? I suspect it is an Enfield kickstart lever as it has / had a shouldered bolt through the lever top forging through the foot lever into the main forging, seems like a well thought out design having an indent ball & spring also.
I am currently having a bolt modified to suit but would welcome any comments, part Nos suppliers etc for future reference.

Ian
Stuoyb

Re: Kick start lever

Post by Stuoyb »

The original AMC part is no longer available.
The Ariel Arrow/Leader item (available from Draganfly) is a usable alternative.
kayaker

Post by kayaker »

many thanks I will look at that,
perhaps you may know, is there anywhere on this site where I can identify part numbers from an illustrated diagram, I have a couple of manuals but they seem to fall short of certain info.

ian
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Have a look at Christians archives.

http://www.archives.jampot.dk

Not sure if you've been to our North West section meeting? See our website for details:

http://www.ajsmatchlessnw.org.uk

Cheers Dave :D
kayaker

Post by kayaker »

Thanks for that, I've had a look and found a spares list which will be useful however sometimes items are described differently by different people, I find as with modern vehicles numbers against pictures / diagrams more helpful, do you know if such an publication exists?

Ian
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

If you are struggling the Norton Lightweight twins also used the same kick start - there are available from the Norton Owners club, a bit pricey at £90 but i needed one and i am very happy with it.

PS - Why can't the spares operation get some in ??

Cheers

Steve
Janet

Post by Janet »

Rangy65 wrote:PS - Why can't the spares operation get some in ??
Perhaps no-one has asked for them in response to Gary's request for suggestions for lightweight parts to be stocked. If he doesn't know about them he won't consider buying them in.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

One of the main problems facing the parts service with N.O.S. small batch reproduction parts is that the traders with the stock have a ready market and do not want to sell to the club.
Often, if they do agree to sell it is in very limited quantity (often "one-offs") and at retail price or a very small discount which would result in a loss or uncompetitive position.
In this case where the price is already considered to be high and the supplier has only a small amount of stock we would have little opportunity to buy stock or be competitive.

Janet also makes a good point. Gary frequently asks for recommendations via his column in "Jampot" for items that members are aware of, or feel the club should be stocking and so far there is very little or no feedback.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

I am one of the Three Lightweight owning members who regularly ask/challenge Gary for new parts. ( see my letter in one of the JAMPOT issues).

:headbang:
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rangy65 wrote:I am one of the Three Lightweight owning members who regularly ask/challenge Gary for new parts. ( see my letter in one of the JAMPOT issues).

:headbang:
One of three isn't good enough, we need at least 25-30 people asking for a part to make it worth looking at. The lightweight clutch centres is a prime example. When I was looking to get them made 15+ people were interested. We commissioned 25 of each type. They're very intricate parts to make and so the unit cost was always going to be high, £100 ea or so. As soon as we'd had them done virtually everyone disappeared and to date I think we've sold maybe 3-4.

Can't win can we.