model 8m frame

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Janet

Re: model 8m frame

Post by Janet »

red_dog49 wrote:all, thanks, so I will I have to work out a way to get the bike off the ground on its wheels or is there a enough room as sits on its wheels I will
check that out,
or you could remove the fuel tank, drain the oils, and gently lay the bike on it's side on an old mattress.
also are the threads on the spindles bsf, guess they are but before I buy some taps/dies would like to be sure. also as it is at the moment with the 250 stand bracket is the bike unsafe, eg the 350 is a round spindle through the frame and the 250 is square
or is there some sort of sleeve inside the frame, i could get some sleeves made up to fit over the external square section to use as is,sorry if it don't make sense but it is hard to explain.
Rob.
Disclaimer: I know nothing about those nasty big slow M8/G5 lightweights and not much about the basic M14/G2.

However, the parts list from 1960 covering those models indicate that the same rod was used for them at the time, although not for the 250CS version. They don't show the whoopie-doopie superfast sporty CSR :rofl: because it didn't come out until, I think, 1962. It's unlikely that your bike would be unsafe with the square spindle, particularly if it has all the other bits on it to match. The good news for 250 owners is that it is available from the spares scheme. The bad news for the 350 owners is that a round spindle isn't.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Are these 350 spindles?

They are 260mm long and the main shaft is 11/16" diameter. They don't seem to fit any of the holes in the frame on my 250...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Janet

Post by Janet »

I understand these to be later G5/M8 spindles. They are not 250 spindles.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

red_dog49 wrote:all, thanks, so I will I have to work out a way to get the bike off the ground on its wheels or is there a enough room as sits on its wheels
Rob.
Should be ok on its wheels, I did my stand spring with the bike resting on one end of the handlebar against a wall!! and as you are taking it all off you should have enough room. I have to make do with whatever I can use outside but Janet's idea looks good. One thing I am not sure about having never removed that part is that the spindle goes through the lower part of the rear downtube, presumably no frame spreading occurs when this the spindle is removed??
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Should be OK: the frame is still held together by the engine.
I only just got round to fitting the bottom frame to my 250. It had been off the bike for years and nothing seems to have moved...
1993 Ducati 750SS
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

all, great info, I supported front wheel with my workmate bench and lifted up rear wheel with bike lift, and took off the 250
centre stand assembly in 1/2 hr I was worried that the down tube from the frame was wrong but found that it had the round hole at the bottom
so that the 250 square spindle was in a round section (not good) I will now refurb the 350 assembly and refit.
regards
Rob.
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, ajs comboman said that the LW used heavyweight 1 1/8'' forks, on the heavyweight forks fitted to my first bike the stem had been cut and welded
to lengthen, so were the post 55 HW forks different to the pre 55 in stem length as well as dia confused again.
rob.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Rob,

You sent me a PM but the forum won't let me reply to you (PM is disabled on my account- I guess an admin has to switch it on?)
Happy to offer you the spindles! I sent an email to your AOL address so hopefully you got that...
1993 Ducati 750SS