Wiring faults on the G5

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
ditchweed

Re: Wiring faults on the G5

Post by ditchweed »

Hey
So went through it all today, found a few culprits, firstly the dip switch was heavily corroded so was stopping anything working as far as lights and horn, also the earth link to the rear lights was awful so ran a cable instead now getting good brake lights and when i skip the switch strong front and rear lights, and horn. my only worry is the alternator, which i fear might not be working, replaced the old wires on it, but could someone let me know the best way to fault check it with an avo meter to see if it really is knackered. also no fuse in my circuit worth adding one and what value?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ditchweed wrote:Hey
So went through it all today, found a few culprits, firstly the dip switch was heavily corroded so was stopping anything working as far as lights and horn, also the earth link to the rear lights was awful so ran a cable instead now getting good brake lights and when i skip the switch strong front and rear lights, and horn. my only worry is the alternator, which i fear might not be working, replaced the old wires on it, but could someone let me know the best way to fault check it with an avo meter to see if it really is knackered. also no fuse in my circuit worth adding one and what value?
Can't help with the alternator test apart from checking the voltage across the battery when it is running. I had a fuse put in when my bike was rewired and when it had the little square rectifier it had a 15amp fuse in it but I fitted an Areg Regulator/rectifier and that specified a 20 amp one .
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ditchweed

Post by ditchweed »

thanks paul
sadly i don't seem to be getting a spark right now so haven't tried getting it running yet, hence the desire to check the alternator, its a new coil so can't see what else it would be.
ditchweed

Post by ditchweed »

found this which i will try tomorrow horrible feeling the stator is burnt out
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, you don't need the alternator to get a spark, to run my bike before I had a wiring loom, from the battery, a positive wire to engine, wire direct from points to cb on coil, wire from neg to (sw) coil,then when its running you can check what voltage (ac)if any you get between the 3 wires.
you can check the 3 wires from the alternator, very low resistance between them (its a coil) and high resistance to ground.
visual check.
rob.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ditchweed wrote:found this which i will try tomorrow horrible feeling the stator is burnt out
Wouldn't go too much by what he said about the visual aspect of the stator as mine looks like the one on the right and it is fine!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
GrimJim
Deceased

Post by GrimJim »

Try this from AMOC Technical Topics.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ditchweed

Post by ditchweed »

Tested it today and all fine thankfully my stator looks a lot like yours paul but still consistant resistance across all wires 0.8Ohms and not grounding at all, i found the culprit for the spark and it was the points which were old and sticky, took them apart cleaned the contacts and the points, tensioned the springs and oiled the pivot. was then getting a really strong blue spark which was a good start also fixed all the other earth leaks of which there were many so now all the lighting is working great too.