No oil to rockers model 8

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: No oil to rockers model 8

Post by Ozmadman »

Must admit I can't comment for once as I have never seen one like this, you can also see the other "blank" in the photo(oil feed to inlet valve) in the head as Colin mentioned
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

cbranni wrote:That head looks like a 250 head from 63/ 64 when AMC did away with inlet valve stem oil screw and oil flow to tappets and push rods, must have relied on oil mist for lubrication, I think the oil pump output was increased too.

Colin
My '64 G2CSR looks like that.
irsooty2

Post by irsooty2 »

Ozmadman wrote:The correct carb is 389/42 1 inch and an 1/8 bore just check that this is what you have but I can't see that it will make much difference as long as it is not smaller than the carb bore. Just another check, have you got a valve lifter on the cylinder head as if it has a 250 head on it ( no valve lifter) then the inlet may be fractionally smaller as the carb is a smaller bore. The pin looks like it has a shallow groove in it and it won't take much for it to reduce the flow as it isn't exactly a brilliant design in the first place
Just to confirm, the carb is 389/42 and 350 head, I'll go with 28mm I think!
Thanks for your help!
Iain
irsooty2

Post by irsooty2 »

Hi all!
Sorry it's been so long since my last post! (Very busy with work!).
Guide pin is in, tried to start it but battery was dead, battery wouldn't take charge so many new chargers later found battery to be a dud! Finally got her started first kick but still no oil up top!
Got head off today but cannot find any blockage so barrel off next to see what's happening lower!
Thanks for all the help so far!!
Iain.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Hi Iain. I'm as sorry as you are that oil did not appear....I guess you allowed sufficient time for it to appear.....like 5 minutes running at least?....Before taking the barrel off.....I would take the bike for a walk with it in first gear. The engine should be able to spin over quite rapidly without too much effort....this should allow you to witness if oil is at least being pumped up the integral oil way that feeds the head.....Les

PS...the barrel should stay in place during the walk....but tie it down with some string, cable ties or duck-tape ...just in case it decides to loosen up off the crankcase mouth....unlikely due to the weight.
irsooty2

Post by irsooty2 »

Yes, I had it running for about 10min with revs.
I will try your idea tomorrow if I get a chance, look forward to getting this done so I can crack on with all the other jobs & mabe even ride it one day😅
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Still reckon those small holes (and they are small) in those inserts behind each rocker are blocked as mine were, or less likely, the rocker gasket is blocking the hole in the head or even more less likely, the oil feed hole running through the head and down through the barrel is blocked
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
irsooty2

Post by irsooty2 »

Hi all, possibly found an answer, just got a long bit of wire and there is gunk in oil way below the barrel, will prodding be enough or should I remove head and barrel to ensure its clear?
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Glad you've found the problem. If the blockage is/was below the barrel bottom joint what are you going to find if you DO remove the barrel....no difference really. On the other hand, removing the barrel is not difficult but refitting the piston back into it is sometimes tricky and can cause broken rings....a real pain!.... If the barrel base joint has not been disturbed at all, I would just continue with the wire poking and alternate that with the walking the bike to purge oil through until all remains of grot are removed. The dirt is probably just jointing paste anyway so it's soft and won't damage anything should a few bits float around...noting you have a roller big end and not plain bearings that are easily damaged with dirty oil. Check the head while you are at it for a good flow before fitting it back....

Also I would say although you might have cursed the effort (and me) after replacing the guide pin, at least the oil tank is (should be) nice and clean now and you are now getting the maximum pumping stroke from the oil piston spindle...so not a waste of effort.....It's not that likely that the gunge is circulating in the oil so don't waste your money changing it for the sake of it....it must be new after the oil tank removal.
Let us know when it all flows nicely when back together....
Les
Last edited by Les Howard on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irsooty2

Post by irsooty2 »

Thank you Les!
No I haven't cursed anything (or anyone), I've quite enjoyed learning about the bike and as long as I can have it ready for summer I don't mind!
The oil tank was covered in slime so good job I got inside and a bit of oil was leaking from it into the side casing so glad I had a look!
What would be sitting below that blockage? The pump?