Identifying steering head parts on a 350 cc Lightweight

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Roderick

Identifying steering head parts on a 350 cc Lightweight

Post by Roderick »

I am assembling the fork yokes onto the repainted frame of a G5 350 cc Matchless which I dismantled optimistically more than 40 years ago while still a lad. The problem is that I am no longer 100% certain what goes where. There are no illustrations of the Lightweight frame fitted with the AMC Heavyweight 1&1/8" fork that I know off & no such bikes available to look at easily in my neck of the woods.

There's a race with a shaft & with a rounded outer circumference. Does this go into the bottom of the frame head?
There's a race with a shaft & with a conical shaped outer circumference. Does this go into the top of the frame head?

There's also a shallow shaped bell like thing with a 5/8" hole in the centre which could be an embellisher or dust cover which might go on top of the steering head stem although I forget what that the stem nut was like except that the arrangement was not the same as with the Heavyweight with a sleeve nut, etc. The top yoke/handlebar lug will not take a sleeve nut inside it.

All three items were originally cadmium plated.

Can anyone help?

Rod
cbranni

Re: Identifying steering head parts on a 350 cc Lightweight

Post by cbranni »

YES

YES

Answers to your first two questions...........................well that's what mine looks like

And it is all held together with a thin nut and a domed nut to lock it, not sure what the bell shaped thing is.

If you need a photo................ask

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Roderick

Re: Identifying steering head parts on a 350 cc Lightweight

Post by Roderick »

Thanks very much, Colin, for confirming that.

I'll look into how to put up a photo of these actual items including the bell shaped thing when I get back from Scotland, before I install them in the frame.

Rod