Invisible security

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
MartinWillmott

Invisible security

Post by MartinWillmott »

Hi, new here, Just bought a 62 Model 8 and the wiring has been butchered over the years, I've just ordered a new harness, the correct light and ignition switches and am planning to restore this already tidy bike to it's former glory, however there is no key switch or security as far as I can see, my plan is to add a hidden remote on/off in the headlight so I can remotely secure the bike with a key fob without anything visible on the bike, does anyone know the rating of the ignition switch?, the remote I'm looking at will handle up to 8 amps without adding an extra relay. Thanks, NB, it's on 12Volt
Rob Harknett

Re: Invisible security

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have a simple on/off flick switch under the head lamp of one of my old lightweight bikes. It just switches the power on & off. It cannot be seen but easy to flick on & off by reaching under the head lamp. On another I have a Suzuki keyed ignition switch fitted on the toolbox lid.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Perhaps Rob you would like to tell us what flower pot you keep the front door key under as well .
It not a secret switch now is it :-)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

g80csp11 wrote:Perhaps Rob you would like to tell us what flower pot you keep the front door key under as well .
It not a secret switch now is it :-)
No. so perhaps someone will come and start the bike up for me, damed if I can get it to go. :rofl:
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

8 Amps should be sufficient in handling the current, but what worries me is if the module you have uses a transistor to switch the current on or off. Some have built in small relays and that's Ok but if you switch off and the points are closed you are interrupting the primary current in the coil and this will produce quite a high voltage back EMF which will be fired back into the module, possibly blowing part of the circuit, especially, as I already mentioned, if the current through it is switched by a transistor. There are many ways to protect against this with Zener & Schottky diodes etc, or perhaps it will be easier to let the module drive a separate relay to isolate the module from the voltage spike.

Les
MartinWillmott

Post by MartinWillmott »

Just found a 20 amp one it switches an internal relay and comes with 2 fobs I currently have toggle switches on the headlight, one for lights and one for ignition
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20A-12V-on-of ... Sw6dNWTU7-
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Very good idea.
However, from my discussions with insurance folk it seems the majority of bikes are stolen to order or by premeditation by being lifted into a van - usually by two chaps in reflective jackets with a temporary sign on the side of the van saying something like 'ACME MOTORCYCLE RECOVERY SERVICE'.
Be especially cautious if you tend to wheel the bike just out of the shed/garage to do a bit of fettling in view of passers-by.
I've heard some say that parking it with the ignition on full advance helps to delay scoundrels who intend to ride it away :o (but you don't have that option).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
MartinWillmott

Post by MartinWillmott »

I've found and ordered a 20 amp relay type with 2 fobs, the idea is also to fit a small 12v flashing led so when the ignition is off it flashes like an alarm and when the ignition is on it goes out, as a visual indicator of ignition on/off had to order the module from the USA, seems we don't make stuff here these days. I currently have 2 toggle switches one for lights and one for ignition, but I've sent off for the correct switches.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Hi Martin....Ouch too late...but there are plenty of 10A devices on Ebay UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... h&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-10A-Re ... SwjVVVqNXK

These are smaller and cheaper and as you can see they have a built in relay...the small blue coloured cube shaped device.

Is it too late to cancel?

Les
Janet

Post by Janet »

Not being at all knowledgeable about bike electrickery, I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve. Is your intention to disable the electrics so potential thieves can't start the engine? If so, wouldn't an easily removable fuse be just as effective? It certainly works in reverse when hot-wiring a Honda. Nobody takes any notice when you do it.

As Spriddler said, many bikes are stolen by being lifted into a van. One of Glyn's was seen being carried by 4 youths down a street because he'd disabled it by chaining the rear wheel but didn't have anything solid to fasten it to.
My security system of choice is the use of strong padlocks and chains fastened to something strong and either fixed or very large and heavy. I know what you're all thinking. "What right-minded thief is going to steal one of Janet's bikes?" Well, my secondary security plan is to park up next to pretty, shiny, valuable bikes. What fool is going to nick mine when there are much better pickings available? :twisted: