Removing engine side cover BADGE best way

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Roderick

Removing engine side cover BADGE best way

Post by Roderick »

Does anyone know a clever wheeze whereby this might be done without causing damage?

At the last minute a closer inspection of my Matchless G5 clutch side cover has revealed a crack due to an accident sometime in the distant past. Even more unfortunately, it runs right through & into & through the thread on one of the inspection cap holes too so there's no easy way to repair it. I happen to have a good AJS side cover, however, & if the badges could be swapped the problem would be solved.

The badge appears to be copper, slightly larger than the recess for it in the case & to be punched in at the circumference with a punch of the same diameter as the recess. Trying to lever it out from the outside looks likely to leave unsightly gauge marks. Drilling a hole from the inside & tapping it out with a suitable punch seems a bit drastic too.

Rod
Rob Harknett

Re: Removing engine side cover BADGE best way

Post by Rob Harknett »

Try cellulose thinners, be patient, it may attack and soften the glue. Not sure if it is not a push in fit. If it is, you may have to lever it out. Use a small decorators paint scraper. You may have to grind it thinner to get under a lip. Just work your way round twisting the scrapper. Mechanic's and PVC window fitters fashion such a tool to lever out plastic panels & glazing beads, when fitting sealed glazed window panels. They had rounded edges of the scraper blade, so they did not dig in.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

They're not glued in Rob, the badges are pressed into the alloy boss.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Or just buy a new one
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

I actually did buy new ones, Paul, but they proved to be a very bright red whereas the original colour on the badges on my bike is that dark Red sometimes called Tartan Red. Some trace of Tartan Red remains on the badges on my side panels. It's the same colour as was used on the petrol tank & the two side panels. The bright red of the new badges would be quite at odds with Tartan Red, especially bearing in mind that there is a strip on the side panels around the badges which will have to be painted Tartan Red too. The new bright red badges would look out of place. I can re-paint/enamel the old side panel badges when the the petrol tank & side panels are being done. If that is, I can find a way to remove & replace the one on the clutch side cover!

Rod
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:They're not glued in Rob, the badges are pressed into the alloy boss.
I did wonder if that was the case Rob, due to the statement, the badges over lapped the hole, I assumed the underside would have something that pushed in. Perhaps the thin blade tool scraper may prize them out then.
I had a guy that insisted sending me such a badge, after I brought a book from him. He did warn me items were stolen in the African post. I got the letter, saw an imprint in the paper of the circular badge, beside which was a neat cut in the envelope. The badge removed.
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

Imagine the surprise when it was found not to be Krugerrand coin!

Rod
aitch58

Post by aitch58 »

Probably a bit late with the reply but here goes. If you have a hot glue gun stick a piece of threaded bar to the badge and get a heavy socket a suitable nut& washer to make a slide hammer. Secure the cover to a bench with a couple of 'G' clamps and have a bash at it that way. Allow plenty of time for the glue to cool and cure. It works for pulling dents out of car panels it may work for this. (Personally I'd have drilled through and drifted it out if the cover is scrap) Good luck