G5 350 Lightweight – help please

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
metaljohn

G5 350 Lightweight – help please

Post by metaljohn »

Hi , new member John here , I've been given a 1960 Matchless G5 that has been stored since 1975 . It is in poor condition, but I'd like to at least get it roadworthy and rideable .

I have stripped the motor down as far as the centre crankcases ( yes , iv'e remembered to take the oil pump out ! ). The big end will definitely need replacing and I'm concerned about the connecting rod . It's been rusting away for over 40 years and looks really nasty . I won't know for sure until the crank is split and I can clean the rod up .

So I need to buy , borrow or rent a timing pinion puller ( 043332 ? ) before I can split the cases and have a proper look at the bottom end .
Gary at AMOC spares tells me that they are out of stock of this puller and that it may be many weeks until the back order appears .

If anyone can sell or lend me a pinion puller , please let me know – email timlees99@gmail.com (Tim's my neighbour , internet is a rarity in this part of mid Wales !) Or phone me on 07979 366777 . I could also bring my engine to your puller if you aren't tooo far away !

Many thanks , John .
Ozmadman

Re: G5 350 Lightweight – help please

Post by Ozmadman »

Try here http://www.andrew-engineering.co.uk/ page 15 of their spares list. The big end needs the professional touch unless you have the proper equipment as the flywheels need to be separated and then pressed back together with a big press and the bearing will set you back nearly £200 before labour charges not to mention the two main bearings and the timing side bush which will also need reaming
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
metaljohn

Post by metaljohn »

Many thanks for the info Paul . Unfortunately they sold the last puller 10 days ago and are planning to retire this year so won't be making any more . They do have some other stuff that will come in handy if i ever get that far , very friendly , good contact , thanks .

When i finally manage to split the cases i will entrust the crank work to someone competent . At this stage i need to assess what will be needed in the way of parts and how to source them . Alpha don't have any big end kits in stock atm and have no plans to make a batch ( they would make a one off at a price , but need the casting no' on the conrod to confirm size ) also , i need to have a proper look at the connecting rod before committing any further . If that is as bad as i fear and a replacement unobtainable , i may have to scrap the project on financial grounds .

So , back to my original plea , has anyone got a pinion puller that they would be willing to sell , lend , lease or rent !

Yours hopefully , John . :headbang:
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

ooh, so i have the last one ever £1000000 anybody
Janet

Post by Janet »

alanengineer wrote:ooh, so i have the last one ever £1000000 anybody
No you haven't.

Note: I think it's what I've got carefully put away in a very safe place. So safe that....yes, you've guessed. Darned if I know what it fits, though.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Was surprised to hear that the guys at Andrew engineering are calling it a day this year, that is a real shame as they are a good source of parts, got my fork stanchions and a stack of other parts from there. Looks like a lightweight just got even harder to renovate. My advice... get a 20 tooth gearbox sprocket from then whilst you can, an essential upgrade for a 350 if you go on longer runs and nobody else makes them
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Club spares have plenty of crank pins in stock
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

metaljohn wrote:
So I need to buy , borrow or rent a timing pinion puller ( 043332 ? ) before I can split the cases and have a proper look at the bottom end .
Welcome, John.
I've not stripped a 'Lightweight' engine but (unless my memory's failing) on the Heavyweight you don't need to remove the timing pinion to split the c/case as it will pass through the timing side bush when you separate the halves.
A Lightweight officianado may well correct me.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ozmadman wrote: Was surprised to hear that the guys at Andrew engineering are calling it a day this year,

Ageing suppliers have and will continue to drop out over time. How long will Les at Russell's keep going? No doubt his huge NOS stock will be bought up by others but the years of priceless knowledge will be lost. A good reason to support Club Spares and The Very Young Steve Surbey at AMC Classic Spares.

It's the same with highly skilled engineers who will undertake 'one-off' jobs. Several I know re-installed their lathe, milling machine, spark eroder, welding kit and test equipment in their own garages when they retired, have a veritable Aladdin's cave of bits of steel bar, rod, tube, bronze bush material, brass and ali block, bar and tube etc., etc., and are old bike enthusiasts and riders but all are late 60's, 70's and 80's and becoming fewer far too quickly.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi John, did you manage to beg, steal or borrow one?

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow