Matchless dark red

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
G15 Roy

Re: Matchless dark red

Post by G15 Roy »

[quote="Mc-Maz"]I seem to recall a similar post fairly recently where Rob H made the observation that all the information re AMC colours is way out of date. How true – to get paint mixed to a specific colour you need an up to date vehicle paint code. If you have a part in its original colour there's the option of using a colour matching service seems but it seems to be very pricey.

Also is Cardinal red the same colour as Tartan red? – if I'm reading it correctly, the info at http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Tan ... _codes.pdf seems to suggest that it is (2nd paragraph from the bottom of the page).

Is there any chance of the club providing a definitive and current guide on AMC colours?[/quote

Here is a job for you then.
Roy
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Les at Russell Motors has several small cans of AJS blue paint from the AMC factory, (not sure what they were intended to be used for, touching up maybe?) no two of the cans of paint are the same colour. Les said that they just used whatever they could get that was 'near enough' ........ what chance have restorers got of getting the 'correct' colour?
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

Thanks to all the usual very helpful people who have replied to this enquiry.

I've now opted for RS Paint's "Maroon". It didn't occur to me at first that this original colour could be described as "Maroon", maybe due to owning a maroon coloured Ariel which is a very much darker colour & which I always think of as Maroon. It didn't help that RS list Maroon for the 250 Lightweight but only Tartan Red for the 350. I have seen lots of 350s with the colour Maroon as well 250s.

Getting near the end of this rebuild now, paintwork should be finished this week. It will be about 46 years since this one last ran. Imagine. Some bikes just refuse to die. It's been a lucky bike; bits have turned up when I've needed them. On other rebuilds, it's as if the heap of bits are absolutely determined never to run again.

Once again many thanks to you all.

Rod