AJS Model 8 seized teledraulic forks

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Mick D

Re: AJS Model 8 seized teledraulic forks

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Love it Janet :D

I'm currently struggling with a front master cylinder removal on an - ahem - Triumph

Regards Mick
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Thanks Mick for the information; I offered up the spindle and it fits perfectly and the slider legs appear to be straight and in line. The slider extension has come away from the threaded oil seal retainer and I can see that the stanchion inside the spring is pitted and scored length-ways - I guess this indicates corrosion or grit in the bush? How can I unscrew the oil seal ring without the purchase of the slider extension attached to it?

Once again, any advice is most welcome, Steve S.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Steve

Not 100% sure what you are saying, has the chrome slider extension been unscrewed from the slider, (correct), or has the chrome sleeve become detached from it's thread, (leaving the thread still in the slider)?

If, as it sounds to me, the slider extension sleeve has become detached from it's thread, (rusted through I suspect), you will have to remove the fork leg from the yoke. Then remove the spring, cover, leather washers, rubber sleeves and the chrome slider extension sleeve.

To get the threaded portion of the slider extension out of the slider I would MIG weld a couple of mild steel flat bars to it at opposite sides and use them as a lever - not very helpful if you don't have a MIG welder but I can't think of any other method that will not damage the slider.

If I've misunderstood and the slider extension thread is not left in the slider, the oil seal is a press fit into the slider, once disassembled a bit of heat to the slider and a few taps per my previous post will see the oil seal extracted.

Edited to add: There is a 're-bound' spring which cushions the fork's motion when it reaches full extension, pull on the slider to take up as much of this action as possible when tapping the tube gripped in the slider clamp, though you may not need to do this if the slider is stiff at this point.

Regards Mick
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Thanks Mick, yes the extension sleeve has become detached from the thread which is still in the slider, I have a picture but can't see how to attach it to this reply!

Steve S
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Steve

Time to bite the bullet - the fork leg needs to come out of the yoke.

Regards Mick
Janet

Post by Janet »

Steve S wrote:Thanks Mick, yes the extension sleeve has become detached from the thread which is still in the slider, I have a picture but can't see how to attach it to this reply!

Steve S
One way is to have your photos hosted elsewhere, such as Photobucket and post the link here.

The other way is from your computer. Have you looked below the text box you use when replying? First, you should see three buttons, save draft, preview, submit. Lower down to the LHS of your screen should be two tabs, options and upload attachment, the latter being the one you need if you're copying from a file on your computer. Be aware that they must be less than 1MB I believe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Janet on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Thank you Mick and Janet, unfortunately I don't have an attachment option, perhaps I need to be authorised?

Steve S
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Steve

Not sure if you can post photos as a guest but if you hover over my user name in the box to the left you may be able to Email it to me.

Regards Mick
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Thanks Mick, I thought I was a full member having joined a few weeks ago and receiving a confirmation email!

Perhaps Janet could look into this please?

Steve S
clive

Post by clive »

Steve S wrote:Thanks Mick, I thought I was a full member having joined a few weeks ago and receiving a confirmation email!

Perhaps Janet could look into this please?

Steve S
Janet is not the right person to answer this Steve. You do show up on the membership list but rather than login in again send an email to Eamonn the webmaster@jampot.com and ask him to sort out your current user name with you membership number. When it is done you will see member under your name on anything you have posted on the forum.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix