Re: AJS Model 8 seized teledraulic forks

Post by Steve S »

Any luck Dave?

Steve S
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you don't get any joy give Steve at AMC Classic Spares a try.

Regards Mick
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

No, I've got a few 1/4" but only one 1 1/8". I can lend you that but I've got a spare top nut and I'm making you one from that.
Dave.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Thanks Mick for the AMC spares tip, Steve did have one, however Dave is sending me one he had made; great club!

Steve S
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Many thanks Dave, your fork puller tool arrived today and I have the stanchion out; next job is to find a way of removing the thread of the slider extension which has parted from the extension but remains firmly in the slider. Mick has suggested MIG welding a couple of bars to it - a job for next week.

Steve S
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Glad the fork puller did the job. To remove the threaded bit, if you're going to try welding a bar to it, why not do a couple of runs of mig weld around the inside of the threaded ring. Be careful t protect the alloy. I bet it'll just unscrew with your fingers. The mig weld contracts the ring and (with a bit of luck) loosens it.
I had trouble with a twin main bearing ring which wouldn't come out no matter how hot I got in the oven. A friend suggested doing a couple of runs of mig weld around the inside. I was very pessimistic, but it worked and the ring just dropped out.
Cheers Dave.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Hi, a lot of progress today - I managed to unscrew the extension slider thread with a simple pair of tank pliers that plumbers use - bingo! I then heated the slider cautiously with the stanchion gripped in the wooden jaws of a workmate and pulled it off without any drama. The problem appears to be a very stiff plastic bush which I have now removed. The stanchion itself is pitted a little and I have read elsewhere that this could be rubbed down with wet and dry. The steel bush at the end of the stanchion rotates freely and I have not attempted to remove it. I guess what I need now is replacement plastic bushes, oil seals and leather washers, anything else? I guess I should do the other leg as well in case that bush is about to seize?

Steve S

PS how do I shrink my camera photos to less that 1 MB so that I can post them here, they come out at 2.2MB?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Nice to hear you're making good progress. As you will, presumably, be replacing the broken slider extension and you no doubt will wish to keep the legs looking similar so I guess you will be replacing both, you would be silly not to replace the oil seal and plastic bush on the other leg too while you do it.
There are also six, (three per leg), rubber sleeves fitted to the stanchions to cushion them from the fork springs, probably a good idea to replace these as they are cheap.
I'd also replace the fibre washers on the drain plugs and damper lower attachments, (if you have removed them).

Rubbing down the stanchion will depend on how badly corroded it is, I'd start at 600 wet and dry and work down, stop as soon as the old bush slides freely and polish with Autosol. Make sure you clean off all debris before re-assembly.

Regards Mick
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Thanks Mick for your advice, the slider extension is quite usable, it had only detached itself from the threaded collar, so I've just pressed it back on, should I attach it in a more permanent fashion?
There were no rubber sleeves on the stanchion, I've read that they bunch up on braking in any case, but I guess I should put them in.
Wish I could post you a photo! :D

Steve S
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

That's strange, I've just had a look at one of my old extensions and it appears to be hard soldered to the thread. If yours is now positively located by a shoulder or similar then I guess things will be OK, if not the outer tube could move and the springs rub the stanchion.

I add photos by uploading 'snags', (from 'Snag It'), I imagine Microsoft snips would be the similar.

Regards Mick