tank colour

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
red_dog49

tank colour

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, anyone know if black/brown is a correct scheme for a 1960 model 8 fuel tank , if not where could I find any info as to original colour of the bike.
hoping for mot success tomorrow !! then registration.
regards
Rob.
Rob Harknett

Re: tank colour

Post by Rob Harknett »

Blue. This pic looks about right.
http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=2079
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Meditteranean blue metallic for 1960. Sky blue non metallic for 1961 or black as an optional extra. Liking to do everything myself I got some meditteranean blue from RS Paints and it was very hard to get even and it looked awful. I stripped it all off and decided on a light blue as near as I could get to the original colour( didn't want to pay RS Pints expensive prices a second time) and did it in that finishing it off with a petrol resistant clear lacquer
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, are the side covers usually the same colour as the tank does anyone know , bike passed mot but then tester wouldn't give me a ticket without seeing dating certificate.
regards
Rob.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

As far as I know, no, they are black, as in the picture I gave you a link for. Note the blue transfer, there seems to be a square sticker below it, that should not be there.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:As far as I know, no, they are black, as in the picture I gave you a link for. Note the blue transfer, there seems to be a square sticker below it, that should not be there.
Not quite so Rob. I'm not sure if you can recall my 350 that Alan Earl and then Dennis Fox purchased. That was a 2 owner bike and when I restored it the original paint inside the toolbox by the hinges was the same as the tank which hadn't been touched from new. To be fair I don't think it really matters so many years down the line and personally I liked the extra colour scheme rather than the panels being boring Black.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Its my memory and how my own bike's are Rob. One really only needs to look at the literature for their bike to discover answers to these questions. ( Surely they do have it? ) They can then be sure by seeing with their own eye's what literature states. I have 1961 handy and under Finish, I see the petrol tank and tool box covers were the same colour, with exception to some models.