clutch cable

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
red_dog49

clutch cable

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, cable broke first attempt to check gear selection last Friday, ordered t774 from the club but it appears at least 12 mm to short (adjuster at min)whatever way I try to fit,
can anyone advise if i'm missing something apart from cable to short or outer to long.
regards
Rob.
Stuoyb

Re: clutch cable

Post by Stuoyb »

Have your levers got adjusters on them?
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, no adjusters, don't really want to cut back some of the outer on a new cable. anyone know how to add a picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, other end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

My eyes letting me down but that looks like it would slot into the lever.

A good tip is don't push the lever back with a screwdirver in the slot or you'll end up with the wedge effect snapp a leg of the gearbox lever.

Did that 40 years ago and never forgot!

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Assume you have screwed the cable adjuster all the way in the gear box.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Assume you have screwed the cable adjuster all the way in the gear box.
There is no adjuster on the gearbox of a lightweight, it's a midway adjuster up by the handle bars by the headlight on these models and he's already mentioned that it wound in as small as it'll go to maximise the available length of the inner.
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, yes looks like it in the photo but it will not, I will measure how much free length I have and contact amoc to check what's happened.
Rob.
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, it might look like it but the cable has to go through the slot then adjust so the nipple sits in the cup.i will measure the free length and contact amoc,
could something have happened in the clutch to cause the lever to extend further than normal.
Rob.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I wind the clutch adjuster off completely so the little arm can pivot free from any pressure. then I fit the cable onto it, making sure the ferrule of the cable outer is fully home in the recess in the gearbox casing. Then I fit the other end in the handlebar lever after which I fit the lever to the clamp on the handlebar. Finally, I adjust the clutch. There should still be a teeny bit of slack in the cable.

I probably do it all wrong but it works for me as it's easier holding a big lever to fit than it is pulling a little end of a wire inside a gearbox case.