clutch cable

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
red_dog49

Re: clutch cable

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, "oh well" mystery over, the t774 is for fitting original handlebars with moulded levers, will have to adapt to fit aftermarket bars and levers or get one made up special.
Rob.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

So we discover what the problem was the cable was not being used on all original parts. Thanks for letting us know. Sorry I was not familiar with cable adjuster on the 350 lightweight, being midway in the cable and not at the gearbox end. Does the lightweight have a thrust rod adjuster on the clutch? That could have also needed re adjustment? I think Janet has the right idea fitting the cable. Put the nipple in the clutch arm then the lever arm. You can then tug on the cable to drop the inner wire through the lever bracket slot.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Rob Harknett wrote: Sorry I was not familiar with cable adjuster on the 350 lightweight, being midway in the cable and not at the gearbox end. Does the lightweight have a thrust rod adjuster on the clutch?
Rob, you claim to have three lightweights yet you seem to know less about them than I do. At least I don't make excuses when I'm wrong.
As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, the lightweights don't have a cable adjuster at the gearbox. That's all lightweights, not just the 350.
Surely you know whether or not the clutch thrust rod has an adjuster?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I may have 3, but I don't know much about lightweights Janet. I have never worked much on a lightweight. I do not often even see them at the back of a shed. I only ever used one of them. Jan does not like riding on the one I used. A 63 CSR fitted with ace bars. It has a Suzuki front wheel with a very good brake, which shoots her forward with me sitting on the tank. Must be 10 years since I last used it.
I try to be helpful, if I make a mistake some one will correct me. So we get a result to a question. As have said before if I make a mistake, some one will correct me. That some one is usually doing so in a helpful way to benefit in achieving an answer to the question asked. This bickering achieves nothing. Except goodbye over and out.
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, hope I don't get told off for trying to help someone, anyway shortened the outer at the gearbox end and all is ok, anyone got some original handlebars, lol that means my cable will be to long now.
Rob.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote: Sorry I was not familiar with cable adjuster on the 350 lightweight, being midway in the cable and not at the gearbox end. Does the lightweight have a thrust rod adjuster on the clutch?
Rob, you claim to have three lightweights yet you seem to know less about them than I do. At least I don't make excuses when I'm wrong.
As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, the lightweights don't have a cable adjuster at the gearbox. That's all lightweights, not just the 350.
Surely you know whether or not the clutch thrust rod has an adjuster?
My 250 lightweights have an adjuster at the gearbox end, that will effect cable adjustment, I have checked, so have the 350's. So I have made that easier to see here. http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Cut ... _Parts.pdf
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.05.17_16h18m02s_001_.png
This should be the starting point for adjustment with the cable adjuster slack, wherever it may be on the cable. You will then have max future adjustment available, with easy access via the cable adjuster.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.05.17_16h21m37s_002_.png
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... .NEILL.pdf
If you are using the 1960 lightweight Matchless or AJS parts list in the archives, http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
The 15" X 20" fold out poster from them is missing, so use the cut a way engine file above, with the parts list to see all engine, gear box, clutch and carb parts. There is also a similar " Illustrated " file for the earlier 250 only lightweight.
All this will answer this topic question and much more. Without any miss understandings or errors from others trying to help.
Please do not be afraid to try and help or ask what may be a simple question.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob, stop digging a hole! The diagram shows a clutch pushrod adjuster NOT the cable adjuster at the gearbox end outer cover like a heavyweight has. There is NO cable adjuster on any lightweight at the gearbox end.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:Rob, stop digging a hole! The diagram shows a clutch pushrod adjuster NOT the cable adjuster at the gearbox end outer cover like a heavyweight has. There is NO cable adjuster on any lightweight at the gearbox end.
Quite true Rob. The point I am trying to make is, the push rod adjuster at the gearbox end must first be adjusted correctly as it WILL affect the cable adjustment and clutch operation. Failure to do this may even result in a cable not having enough adjustment or too much. Unless the lightweight differs from most other bikes I have owned. Read below.
5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.