Something loose in the rear hub

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
timeveritt

Something loose in the rear hub

Post by timeveritt »

The rear tyre pressure having gone down sharply (again) I was turning the wheel slowly round to see if there was anything poking out of the tyre that might have caused a puncture. There wasn't, but there was the distinct noise of something rolling loose inside the rear hub - as though it were being lifted slightly as the wheel goes round and then dropping back to the bottom of the hub. The wheel has been off recently, but I haven't touched the rear brake or anything else inside the hub. Any ideas? Preferably that don't involve taking the wheel off again - it took me about 2 1/2 hours to get it back on properly the last time. (1960 350 Lightweight)
Mick D

Re: Something loose in the rear hub

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Check you haven't got a sheared spoke - give them all a tap with a small spanner - they should all have the same sort of 'ding', if one sounds dead see if it moves radially with finger pressure.

Other possibilities are a sheared brake shoe rivet or broken spring but both will require removal of the brake plate to confirm

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Agree with Mick, but not hearing the noise, assuming you still have the chain on the wheel, are you 100% sure its not the chain or something other that the wheel. Also not sure about your wheel ?? does it have a grease nipple like on a heavy weight bike, where there is a hole in the side plate to access the grease nipple. 1, the nipple may have come out, 2, a small pebble may have got in. It's most likely a brake shoe spring, the noise should give you the clue.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

No grease nipple on a lightweight there is an oil hole in the brake lever boss which is covered by a clip (much like the old push bike oilable wheel hubs) but that's it. Reckon the wheel will have to come off again and iIknow they are a real pain to get out and back in..
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ozmadman wrote:No grease nipple on a lightweight there is an oil hole in the brake lever boss which is covered by a clip (much like the old push bike oilable wheel hubs) but that's it. Reckon the wheel will have to come off again and iIknow they are a real pain to get out and back in..
That eliminates something getting in the grease nipple hole in the plate as in heavyweights then Paul. I could not remember about lightweight and did not look. But my lightweights are all 250's.
Just one other thought may cause a noise may be, someone may like to add comment about. Again the noise heard would give a clue as to what material is causing the noise, like a spring or nut would sound different.
Here goes with another ????? If a sealant had been put in a tube, could this, in time become a solid lump? It is not the cause of noise for this topic, because a new tube has been fitted.
timeveritt

Post by timeveritt »

Thanks, all. It sounds more like a nut than a spring to me. It sort of thuds gently rather than tinkles....
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

True story...........
Some years ago I was stood by my Matchless at Newhaven port about 45 mins before loading time chatting to a young chap who'd just joined the ferry queue with a CZ loaded with camping gear when I noticed his rear tyre was almost flat. He was most dismayed as he'd just fitted new tyres. A member of staff directed him to a local tyre place. He was back before we boarded.
I thought he was winding me up when he showed me a 4" long open ended spanner that was found inside his tyre between the tyre and tube.

(It couldn't be something you left in yours when mending the puncture, could it?).

I don't know the L/W rear brake arrangement at all but on a H/W it could the slot in the rear brake plate steady arm moving on the locating lug on the swinging arm.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just a thought. One of my lightweights rear brake bumps a lot. I have never bothered to investigate, I assume the shoes are off centre. I could be possible your shoes are off centre?? Once again the sound may give a clue.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

SPRIDDLER wrote: I don't know the L/W rear brake arrangement at all but on a H/W it could the slot in the rear brake plate steady arm moving on the locating lug on the swinging arm.
yes, similar.. the lightweight has a boss on the brake plate with a slot in it which locates as you said onto a lug on the swing arm. If either is worn, and mine was seriously worn, you will get a clonk every time you apply the rear brake as the plate is trying to rotate due to the play between both parts. Reckon Rob that is the issue with yours?? here are two pictures of my worn lug on the swingarm, the top line should be parallel to the bottom line! I had it welded/brazed (no picture unfortunately) and now it fits the slot in the brake plate perfectly and no clonking
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ozmadman wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote: I don't know the L/W rear brake arrangement at all but on a H/W it could the slot in the rear brake plate steady arm moving on the locating lug on the swinging arm.
yes, similar.. the lightweight has a boss on the brake plate with a slot in it which locates as you said onto a lug on the swing arm. If either is worn, and mine was seriously worn, you will get a clonk every time you apply the rear brake as the plate is trying to rotate due to the play between both parts. Reckon Rob that is the issue with yours?? here are two pictures of my worn lug on the swingarm, the top line should be parallel to the bottom line! I had it welded/brazed (no picture unfortunately) and now it fits the slot in the brake plate perfectly and no clonking
I recon you're spot on there Paul. I never bothered investigating. I had never had the wheel out of that particular bike to spot it. I only ever took it out for runs in the countryside. Tearing round bends, with its Ace bars fitted. Two up, getting overtaken by mopeds.