gearbox out

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
red_dog49

Re: gearbox out

Post by red_dog49 »

sorry it was the mainshaft nut,found this spacer here is it correct,not sure from diagrams.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Sorry to put the spanner in the works but are we talking about a lightweight box here.. I don't recognise that spacer, the cases I can see don't look like lightweight ones and you seem to have a few bits that don't seem to belong to a lightweight box. A lightweight box is completely cylindrical and in that latest picture the main shaft and casing does not look right. On the lightweight box the clutch lever housing screws into the casing where the shaft comes through
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:Sorry to put the spanner in the works but are we talking about a lightweight box here.. I don't recognise that spacer, the cases I can see don't look like lightweight ones and you seem to have a few bits that don't seem to belong to a lightweight box. A lightweight box is completely cylindrical
In his previous thread about clutch issues, I did post a photo of all the parts of a lightweight gearbox, albeit not great because it was downsized. It should have been good enough to show the cylindrical casings, though. At least it should be enough to identify the type of gearbox, as would the number that should be stamped on the casing. Surely, though, a different type wouldn't have fitted into the bike?

Here it is again but somewhat huuuuge. A few bits are already fitted together in it such as the kickstart shaft in the central ( circular ) casing.
gearbox.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

hi,the case has number g10296, this is my gearbox, been on the road and went for an mot, just a second gear problem and a rattle in neutral, thanks for the info so the spacer I found should not be between the ratchet and the case,but something is shown there so it must be a washer.
Rob.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Ah, I think your earlier photo is of the selector shaft. That spacer does not look correct.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Your box is correct so must be my eyes then? unless you have the shaft in the picture going the wrong way through the bearing just for the picture?
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

Thanks for the photo Janet , can anyone tell me the part number of the washer shown on your pic that is between the selector shaft and the selector fork and where it goes.
Rob.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

red_dog49 wrote:Thanks for the photo Janet , can anyone tell me the part number of the washer shown on your pic that is between the selector shaft and the selector fork and where it goes.
Rob.
Does this help?
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/AJS-Matchl ... 77#s172053

Washer 041389 goes on the inside. 041390 goes on the outside (under the selector pawl).
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

many thanks to paul this morning the gearbox was reassembled with all the little errors rectified and a replaced kickstart shaft from his spares, the gearbox is now loosely assembled in the frame and i hope to complete later this week. (just the opposite to removal lol)
Rob.
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

hi all, been for a run around the village and ....no problems, not a rattle or a clatter or a surge or a slip , here is a pic of the bike ready for the next stage, now where did i put the fork puller and the paint.
Rob