gearbox out

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
red_dog49

gearbox out

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, removed the gearbox this afternoon and some odd things to report, the clutch thrust rod is in two pieces (not broken) 4.5" and 5.58" long and an unknown washer causing some confusion in my shed, anyone like to comment on the pics, more tomorrow.
Rob.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Re: gearbox out

Post by ajscomboman »

A 2 piece pushrod is not an uncommon dodge to lengthen a short one by inserting a ball bearing between the 2 pieces. The washer could have been put there to stop the clutch centre going on the mainshaft too far and rubbing the chaincase inner half. More than likely the clutch centre is worn allowing it to slide too far back. There are 2 types of clutch centre and the parts service stock both.
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

I would appreciate your opinion looking at these photos, is the mainshaft still ok, is the shaft only tapered at the end where the washer is.
anyway going to look into gearbox tomorrow morning, going to Newark sunday fingers crossed for spares.
the clutch centre splines also have some damage.
Rob.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

The mainshaft looks fine. Get rid of the the washer on the mainshaft and fit a new clutch centre.
The workshop manual will help you identify which mainshaft you have so you can get the correct centre from the spares scheme.
The clutch basket is also OK - just dress the high spots with a small file and it'll work perfectly. Mine looked like that; I just dressed it and it works without any issue.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

anyone got any emailable pictures of when they rebuilt their box's (mainshaft cogs and layshaft cogs), i can see no damage on any gear wheels,
some damage on kick start ratchet 041300 which can't find in parts scheme and the inner case.
rob.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

My iFixit guide has a lot of photos: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/AJS-Matchl ... haul/91777

As for the kickstart ratchet: I think that amount of damage is pretty normal. It doesn't seem to affect the operation at all. Mine is similarly ragged.
1993 Ducati 750SS
Janet

Post by Janet »

I notice that you left out the most difficult bit ie getting the gearbox back into the bike. :rofl:
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

“Reassembly is the reverse of removal”
Like all good instructions! :rofl:
1993 Ducati 750SS
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

looks like i'm missing 3 washers, 041389 on footchange spindle,041390,041323 either side of the ratchet. also the threads on the two retaining nuts, kickstart and mainshaft are not good, these do not seem to be available from the usual sources,the search is on, seems I was very rash in getting rid my spare gb .
Rob.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

where is the retaining nut on the kick start?
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed