Oil Filter

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
timeveritt

Oil Filter

Post by timeveritt »

Sorry to trouble you all again so soon. can anyone tell me what size the Allen key is that fits the domed nut holding the oil filter in place (and ideally where I might lay my hands on one)? It's part no 018667, but nowhere can I see what size it is supposed to be. Thanks.
cbranni

Re: Oil Filter

Post by cbranni »

5/16" or 8mm will do the job, pm me your address I will send one to you.

Colin

PS my photo of the Bowden bike has gone ............is that photobucket thing?
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

5/16" is correct , Its also called, Key, fork pinch screw. for circa 55 heavyweight.
timeveritt

Post by timeveritt »

Thank you!
timeveritt

Post by timeveritt »

Thanks Colin, I'm just back from a short hols and have now used your splendid Allen key to open up and remove the filter. Now I really am confused and reading all the previous threads on this subject has only made me more so. What I took out of the filter housing was presumably a short (5 1/2") felt filter with a closed end cap (I imagine from the look of the end of the filter that the far cap stayed in the tunnel) together with a 2" spring and the filter housing cap. I can see from the threads that it might be a good idea to use the longer 6 1/2" filter but there I have a problem. Having studied the photos of filters on previous threads, my filter housing cap and spring look nothing like those in the pictures. The housing cap has a tube which projects into the housing and the much larger looking diameter spring that I have fits around the outside of this tube and bears on the outside diameter of the inner cap rather than sitting inside the dimpled end.

Further to add to the confusion the parts list for 1960 (the year of my bike) refers to a complete washable filter but the addendum refers to the felt filter part no 42061 (presumably the "short" filter) and the spring part no 42064. The club spares list 42061 for the short filter and 42061L for the long filter but they also say the spring 42064 is for the long filter. I don't understand how the same spring (whick looks nothing like mine) can be correct for both a 6 1/2" filter and a 5 1/2" one? I was originally thinking I'd go for the long filter and a new spring, but given the fact that my filter housing cap looks different as well (and everything seems to work ok) I'm now leaning towards just getting a new "short" filter.

Any thoughts anyone?

Tim.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

First we must assume your engine has not been changed and is indeed 1960. Things to consider are, did your get an earlier of later engine. Was there a mid year change. Old or new stock may have been used on bikes early or late in the model year. So the parts list may not be correct for all the bikes in a model year. Service letters were sent to dealers advising of mid year changes etc. Not many of these letters survive to refer to. Also any errors in a parts list were updated with an errata. These loose leaf errata's, sometimes no more than a small label, got lost, if not stuck in the parts list book before it was issued.. What is fitted in your bike must have been there for a long time, so proved to be OK.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

According to the manual:
Numerous alterations to the engine were introduced for the 1963/64 season [...] The oil filter has been increased in length to prevent oil accumulating in the sump at high speed. A shorter spring goes with this filter. This alteration is most beneficial when used on the Lightweight 350 cc. engines. New part No. 042061.
So, yes you can fit the longer filter (in fact it's recommended) and you need the shorter spring to go with it. Unfortunately the advice above confuses things, because the shorter filter also has part number 042061. :headbang:
Here is the early washable filter (no longer available):
early_filter.jpg
Here is the later replaceable filter:
filter.jpg
The longer, 63-on filter looks the same, but the spring is shorter. The spares service refers to the longer filter as "042061L". They only sell the shorter spring that goes with the long filter (as 042064).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
timeveritt

Post by timeveritt »

Matchless oil filter.JPG
Thanks. I thought I'd try a picture to see if that helps. As you can see my filter housing cap is quite diferent. I suppose the question is - will the shorter spring fit inside the tube that projects into the filter housing and inside the dimple on the filter end cap and still be the right length? I suppose I'm just being mean, but I don't want to spend 25 quid (or so) on a filter and spring that don't fit.

Tim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timeveritt

Post by timeveritt »

Ps the engine no is 60G5559 - so I assume that's a 1960 engine?
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Hmm, it looks like "someone" has managed to bodge a replaceable filter element (042061) onto the cap from the washable filter (042845) together with a random spring. This is wrong.

You need you buy the correct cap (042058), spring (042064) and filter (042061L) - they're all available from the spares scheme.
I can't tell from your photo if you have both metal end bits (042062 & 042063) - you'll need those too.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS