Electrical what is that for

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Electrical what is that for

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks for the feedback... those instructions were given to me a few years back by another member on here when I was contemplating fitting a modern unit and were exactly what I needed to give me the confidence to do it myself. Like most I think, wiring is a dark art only understood by the privileged few. As for the wiring in the headlamp, no I didn't do that either. I was fortunate enough to buy the bike soon after it had had a "sympathetic restoration" as the previous owner called it. As far as the mechanical and bodywork aspect of this is concerned I would actually leave the "SYM" part out of that but he did get the bike professionally re-wired and whoever did it made a good job of it even though they did still use the resistor in the headlamp and the small "flasher unit " looking rectifier under the seat. I have just done a similar "mod" (dumped the old regulator and rectifier)on my Yam RD 250 (now a 350) as I had all sorts of running and charging issues that I couldn't get to the bottom of and that seems fine now too.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed