Primary drive side

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Rupert123

Primary drive side

Post by Rupert123 »

I have nearly sourced all my clutch parts rear gearbox mountings and adjusters that were missing when i bought my box of bits so i am nearly ready to assemble the primary drive side , couple of points i am not too clear about , is the inner primary drive case only held onto the engine with three bolts at the front , as the bolts are missing i am having trouble finding their part numbers from my drawings also i need a primary chain the club sells a duplex chain 900075 is this correct for a 350 lightweight and are they endless so therefore the engine sprocket and clutch go on together .

Thanks Martin
clanger9

Re: Primary drive side

Post by clanger9 »

Hi Martin,

There are six worryingly-small screws that hold the chain case on: 3 around the main bearing and 3 towards the front of the crankcase. These are just countersunk, slotted things and they always work loose. Use thread lock!

The official part number for the screws is 041097, but nobody seems to stock them. Steve at AMC Classic Spares says: "...there is another slotted countersunk screw which will probably work ok, 75p each. Same thread but this is 5/8”L (041097 was 23/32”)"

Yes, the chain for a 350 is always the endless, duplex one. Part number is 044059. Club spares seem to have two different options (900075 says "use in place of 044059"). I'm not sure what the difference is.

Good luck!

[edit] The correct screws and primary chain are all available from Russell Motors - Les just sorted me out with all the right bits for my engine rebuild...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Rupert123

Re: Primary drive side

Post by Rupert123 »

Thanks for the info Paul much appreciated,
I have searched a few sites and Russell motors have the screws on their parts list i will ring up tomorrow to see if they are in stock.

ATB
Martin.