Stud,rear,rear engine plate

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Rupert123

Stud,rear,rear engine plate

Post by Rupert123 »

I received some parts from club spares at the weekend ,two rear engine plate studs nuts and washers, the rear studs 042391
3/8" dia approx 3.925" (100mm) long when they go through the frame and the two rear engine plates they seem a bit short i can get a full nut on one side and i can just start the nut on the other i think they should be longer about another 7mm to get
two full nuts on,the guy in spares said i can have a refund they are the only studs we stock for that application we just send a sample away and they make a batch as pattern ,in the spares list it says for all models so i think it is the correct part number for my G5 ,am i right in saying the stud should be about 107mm long.

Martin.
:rofl:
Ozmadman

Re: Stud,rear,rear engine plate

Post by Ozmadman »

Not sure about the length as mine is all assembled now but here is a picture showing the amount of thread I have sticking out either side if that helps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rupert123

Post by Rupert123 »

That is how i thought they should be a full nut on and one or two threads protruding,my studs are the same length as the front engine mounting studs ,they are too short when i pointed this out over the phone to the person in spares he said just send them back ,i remarked upon the reason why the were too short he said we just send a pattern out and a batch is made to the same size, all very well if it is the right pattern is sent or the parts are not checked when they are received or maybe the studs have labelled up wrong i do not know , i also suggested could he measure up some others to check the reply came i have not got anything to measure them with just send them back,i was only trying to be helpful so in future another club member would not encounter the same problems i have had.
Oh well never mind i am going down to Clapham junction in a few weeks time i shall put the studs on my list.

Thanks for your reply and photo ,
Martin.
kellyp

Post by kellyp »

Hello

I have just discussed this with Gary Line (Ops manager) he has checked the stock against our sample and found the stock to be 1/4 of an inch too short. Please return yours for a refund and we will have to reorder the correct size from another supplier.
I apologise for any confusion caused and misunderstanding.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Good work, Kelly.