G5 Rear shocks

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Trebor160

G5 Rear shocks

Post by Trebor160 »

Hi All again - Ive now stripped of the front & rear shocks. The rear ones are ok but need the shrouds either replacing or re-spraying and chroming. Can I buy replacement shrouds or will I have to spruce up my old ones? Either way can anyone give me some guidance on how to disassemble the shocks, if indeed it's possible by the average home mechanic.

If the above is a no go are new / refurbished ones available or can I send my old ones away to be refurbed?

Thanks in advance, Rob
clanger9

Re: G5 Rear shocks

Post by clanger9 »

Easy peasy. Just push down on the cover and the retaining collets can be released.

Check this thread: http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9431
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

The sun will expand into a red giant and engulf planet earth before you will be able to get a lightweight shock absorber new or exchange so don't waste your time looking. I repainted mine and found some general chrome sleeves for Girling shocks and bought them. They were a tad long so I just cut them down (the cut end is up inside the shroud anyway) and they look great. Remove the shrouds as mentioned.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Trebor160

Post by Trebor160 »

Thanks guys - just repainted them with spray hammerite and had the covers re-chromed they look the dogs:-)!