Torque settings

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Vincenoir13

Torque settings

Post by Vincenoir13 »

Hi
Does anybody know the torque settings on a 1962 g5???
Cheers
clive

Re: Torque settings

Post by clive »

Torque settings for what ????
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

As Clive mentioned, the factory didn't publish torque 'settings' for everything in the way that they are shown in the manuals of modern engines so you need to ask for a setting for a specific part and maybe someone will be able to advise. Anyway, back in the day these were economical ride to work transport and owners kept them going by trial and error, make do and bodges. They certainly wouldn't fork out for a special tool unnecessarily. If they were in the engineering trade or prepared machines for competition they might have had a torque wrench to pose with, but probably never used it. In the 60's I served my apprenticeship with a R Royce, Bentley and Jaguar main dealer and none of the 12 mechanics or apprentices used one. Neither did we see one at our evening classes even though there were lathes and milling machines and brazing and welding kit.
Have a look at this thread from a couple of days ago about the same subject:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24081

There's only one torque setting listed in the G5 Owners Manual and that is 35ft/lb for the 4 cylinder head sleeve nuts.
See page 19 of the Owners Manual here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

Your time as a guest is limited so I'd suggest you join the club to get max benefit of all its features.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

AND... do not tighten the 5th smaller bolt to that torque or you will strip the thread in the barrel as had happened to mine B4 I got it. Just nip it up and a tad more with a short spanner
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

This has come up before. When our bikes were new they came with a tool kit. Those basic tools only were used. There was never any mention of torque settings then. Not everyone has the same strength using short basic tools. We never had long sockets wrenches that gave the extra leverage to cause damaged threads. So no need to have torque settings to avoid damage in using these tools. I've got by using the basic tools for some 65 years now without a torque wrench and knowing any torque settings, without any concerns or problems. Just avoid using the extra strength a long lever wrench may give me. Which I may sometimes use, only to get a stubborn fitting undone.