G5 Rebuild - HELP

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Trebor160

G5 Rebuild - HELP

Post by Trebor160 »

Hi All - Ive stripped sown my G5, had all the parts powder coated and tank resprayed. Im now starting the rebuild. Done the suspension / dampers but cant find any exploded drawings or docs which clearly show how the bottom part of the frame is put together and how the engine is mounted. Can anyone help, I live near Manchester and if anyone has an G5 or an AJS model 8 I could have a look at and use as a reference for the rebuild I'd be extremely grateful. Any pointers as to whats the best order to start the re-build would be welcome.

I'm also looking for a couple of parts - the top triangular engine bracket that fastens the engine to the top bar of the frame, as mines gone walkabout and the bracket which is mounted on to the left hand front leg that that brake cable fastens on to as my bike came without! I'm struggling to find both on any online parts lists. If someone can come up with numbers I'll do the search on the spare parts sites, but I'm struggling at the moment to locate....

Cheers & Thanks in advance, Rob
Rangy65

Re: G5 Rebuild - HELP

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Rob there's pictures in the forum showing the frame - I posted some but can't find the originals!!

The triangular engine bracket is the head steady - unfortunately I don't have one. I don't think that they are available so its secondhand/used. Try AMC classic spares or Les at Russell Motors London.

The other part is available from the club spares.

044307 FRONT BRAKE TORQUE ARM L/WT 350 PLUS CSR

Brake Torque Arm L/wt 350 plus CSR

Price : £29.25 each Other currencies

Price incl. tax : £35.10 Other currencies

Stock : Available

The G5 & G2 have small but important differences especially around the frame and the way it hangs together!!

Check through the G5 postings all the info is here somewhere!!

Have fun

Steve
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Rob try this link http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 73#p109548

I hope i have copied the Link!! - click on the link above or if that doesn't work copy and paste it into your browser and it should take you to the thread that has a bit of an explanation and photos.

Cheers

Steve
Trebor160

Post by Trebor160 »

Thanks Steve, absolutley brilliant just what I needed, I'm really grateful for the help. Pictures look good and clear, cant wait to get started:-)
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

There was another posting also - the drawing posted opens out if you click on it.
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24283
Trebor160

Post by Trebor160 »

Thanks Martin appreciated
Trebor160

Post by Trebor160 »

Can you recommend the order which I should start the rebuild, forks first, lower panel then engine etc, what best way to start would you say?
Cheers
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

My restorations follow the same general lines:

Assemble the frame - centre stand - swinging arm - dampers - yokes.

Fit the engine / gearbox - forks - front mud guard.

Fit front wheel and lift the bike onto the centre stand - fit rear mudguard and wheel.

Electrics - secondary chain - chain guard - side stand - timing - handle bars - control cables

Remaining bodywork - exhaust - seat - fuel tank

Check over every nut and bolt - fuel - oil - test ride :)

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Not done a lot of this but I'd say identify the clearly "outside" work that you can't do and get that in process asap.

Johnny B
Trebor160

Post by Trebor160 »

Ok thanks for all the good advice. Started to build up the botton part of the frame with all the levers , pegs, spacers etc. in the garage. Despite the cold actually enjoyed starting to put is all together. Probably finish off the lower frame tomorrow.