Enfield TLS Brake

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Enfield TLS Brake

Post by Martin.S »

I've mentioned it elsewhere on this forum but I'll put this all in one topic.
Looking for a better front brake I bought an Enfield interceptor 7" front hub that polished up quite nice.
To fit into it I bought a TLS brake plate from the Indian made singles thinking it would be a straight fit but found its outer diameter larger than the drum - no problem I turned back the drum mouth a little. I also had to remove 1/16th where the plate locates up to the wheel bearing to locate the brake shoes in the right place.
The brake plate has a long boss with a slot in it to locate to the forks - I took this into work and had it welded up and I polished it out.
Enfild hub and Brake plate.jpg

I turned up a new spindle out of EN16T and a new nut out of some stainless (thanks for the help with the dimensions - see "Wheel Spindle Length) - I'll have a go later at nickle plating the spindles end later (awaiting a anode from fleabay)
Spindle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Martin.S on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin.S

Re: Enfield TLS Brake

Post by Martin.S »

Using Lumiweld I added a boss to the brake plate to save having separate spacers - and polished that up.
New Boss.jpg
This paces the hub in the middle of the forks
Enfield Hub in the Forks.jpg

Cheers
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I've now got to sort out the cam levers, the TLS ones are horrible fabricated and riveted affairs - I could rework them but I need to separate the lever that the cable tugs on from the lever that's connected to the cams as the brake plate is in a different orientation than
on the Enfield so I'm waiting for a cast lever from a 6" hub from India and modify the cam spindle to accept two levers - see my mock up picture - the cable should then sit behind the fork leg with the outer anchored up by the mudguard studs as normal.
Brake Mock up.jpg
I will need to make up a new torgue arm - could anyone tell me how thick they are? - I'll have to rummage to find some material.
I won't be finishing this any time soon but I'll keep this updated.
Cheers
Martin
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

With no calculation I would suggest nothing less than 3/16" plate for the torque stay - if you can fit a larger gauge then do so.

Regards Mick
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I have just made a torque arm to fit a BSA 8 in single sided brake to my '54 G80. As I said in reply to one of your earlier posts, I made up a new axle in EN16. I used 3/16 in plate, 2 ins wide, from M Metals, Darlington and shaped it by chain drilling and a lot of filing. PM me if you want advice on measuring hole positions. The AMC torque arm was made from thinner stuff (can't remember dimensions) but I based my dimensions on the BSA version which was 1 1/16 ins wide, parallel sides (wider than the AMC version), broadening out to fit the 2 studs on the fork slider. It is also joggled to fit the wider BSA brake, not best engineering practice but that is how BSA did it. Cheers, Andy
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Thanks for the replies, I don't suppose it needs to be too thick as it's under tension and not compression where then it would have to resist buckling.
Leaving plenty of meat around the mounting holes will be in order though.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Yep - a "dog bone" shape around the fixing hole is what you need. When these things fail, they let go around or beyond the mounting hole. No need to over-engineer it (though the original AMC shape is a bit marginal for their bigger bikes).

The calculation for how much cross section you need to withstand the tension is pretty easy to do. F=ma, so just plug in the deceleration (0.5g) when fully loaded to get the stopping force, that gives you the force at the tyre edge, then calculate the braking torque to achieve that then work out the resulting force on the arm. Find out the tensile strength of the material and you can work out the minimum cross-section needed. Add a safety margin and you're good to go (or stop).

Mine is just 3mm thick, which works out at 8mm minimum width (I have 10mm).

Here's my torque arm fitted to a Bridgestone TLS hub:
IMG_3653.jpg
As you can see, I haven't got round to making it pretty yet...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clanger9 wrote:....is pretty easy to do. F=ma, so just plug in the deceleration (0.5g) when fully loaded to get the stopping force, that gives you the force at the tyre edge, then calculate the braking torque to achieve that then work out the resulting force on the arm.
Well there's a thing. :roll: Cuh! I never realised it was that easy..........
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Made up a stainless clevis yesterday for the brake cable.
Clevis.jpg
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Very nice. My clevis is ugly bent steel and I haven't found a source of properly made ones.
I don't have the skills & tools to make anything like yours...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS