Gearbox, layshaft bush, driveside

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Gearbox, layshaft bush, driveside

Post by Ozmadman »

vigo wrote:Almost forgot one last thing I wanted to show in the absence of a metal oil cap seal for the layshaft bush kickstart side, a cork. Tapered cork epoxiwd in place, let's see if it holds.
Brave man... I would have tried to find something a bit more substantial, maybe some kind of core plug they used to put in engine blocks back in the day. Lets hope it holds but a lot of work, a serious mess and possibly wrecked box if it leaks or worse comes out altogether
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
vigo

Post by vigo »

When I took this box apart there was no plug at all and can only leak between layshaft and bush internal diameter which has a good fit. If I get a pool on the floor it's right hand casing off to sort, no big deal. A bottle of rioja doesn't leak why should my box?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you degreased the cork and case before you epoxied it in place it will be there for life - a couple of quick visual checks after initial / early use and then forget it until you start to leave drips when parked, (when you'll probably find the leak is from elsewhere ;) ).

Regards Mick