Gearbox, layshaft bush, driveside

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
vigo

Re: Gearbox, layshaft bush, driveside

Post by vigo »

So I now have layshaft bush together with gearbox. It's been pre reamed to a nice snug clearance. All sounds great doesn't it, not quite. I set the bush in the casing using epoxy resin not loctite, reason being the bush location has suffered either from corrosion or bad casting. As I was doing said job I had "line up" doubts, and rightly so. The layshaft will not engage completely when closing the box the last 12mm.
My choice now is to either ream for more clearance or remove bush and reset to line up. At the moment I'm favouring ream as I do not wish to subject the casing to any more undue stress removing bush.
Any thoughts?
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Oh, tough one. If you put the casing in the oven, might the epoxy degrade enough so you can tap the bearing out?
Then you can do it again, but this time with the layshaft in place... ;)
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
vigo

Post by vigo »

Yes I suppose that's worth a try. Just as nearing completion it's a step backwards. I may try lapping a few thou as the clearance is snug. I'll sleep on this one.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

I'm sure it'll be OK with a bit of slop. These are not precision gearboxes...
1993 Ducati 750SS
vigo

Post by vigo »

I'm actually getting somewhere. I gave layshaft bush a bit more clearance but decide to remove it. Having done that and a dry box assy run I then set the bush with epoxy, closed the box together and left overnight, bingo result. It was indeed the crooked alighnment of layshaft bush causing the problem due to a less than perfect casing condition.
The kickstart side casing is at the moment temporarily screwing all together and I think all geares can be selected, difficult to tell turning and selecting, anyway tomorrow. I think I may fill with oil for leak check afterall that's the reason I started this can of worms.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Excellent! May I ask you got the epoxied bush out?
1993 Ducati 750SS
vigo

Post by vigo »

I drifted it out with high frequency light taps using the old bush for exact diameter until it let go. I didn't pre heat
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Nice one. It's good to know that works!
1993 Ducati 750SS
vigo

Post by vigo »

This is intended as the last input to the "layshaft bush" saga. The box is back in the bike and all is assembled. All oil levels (except chaincase) filled, not one leak anywhere,yet. All gears select when rolling, I think the box is good. I wouldn't say I've become an expert but I saw this machine in my sleep.
I want to thank all who passed advice and I am now a lot wiser.
Moving on now to get the engine running properly for which I think it best to open another subject involving "spitfire multispark" and ngk BR7EIX plug.
vigo

Post by vigo »

Almost forgot one last thing I wanted to show in the absence of a metal oil cap seal for the layshaft bush kickstart side, a cork. Tapered cork epoxiwd in place, let's see if it holds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.