Little End

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Jam23a30

Little End

Post by Jam23a30 »

Does anyone out there have any first hand experience of changing the little end bush on a G5?

I have the top end off at the moment for a little TLC but the engine is still in the frame and would like to change the little end bush before I rebuild.

Has it been done? I have a lathe so can make a simple tool to help pull the old bush out but would appreciate any advice or do's and don'ts before I try!

Many thanks

Andy
raffles

Re: Little End

Post by raffles »

Hi Andy
all you need is two sockets and a long bolt .One socket that will accept the bush pushed into it and one that that has the same
or slightly smaller outside diameter as the bush . Method set up a socket either side of the smallend pass bolt through both
sockets secure with a nut gently warm the top of the rod when to warm to touch tighten the nut and bolt pushing the old bush out
to fit new bush discard the smaller socket and use a large plain washer to push the bush home warming the rod again beforehand
should the rod and bush have oil holes be sure to line them up if a plain bush drill as required. ream or not as required.
Tony
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Exactly how I've done it in the past.

Johnny B
Jam23a30

Post by Jam23a30 »

Thanks chaps, I will give it a go as suggested. I did think a saw cut through the old bush might encourage the removal phase but it seemed a bit drastic if removal is a crank out job. The fact you have been successful with the socket method is encouraging.

Andy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

next step may be to ream the little end to accept the pin. I have found pins that were too tight to fit existing small ends.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Well said, Rob. I had my barrel lined back to standard and hence a new piston and pin. The new pin was very tight in the little end and I had to ream the latter a bit.

I was advised on the reaming front (IKBA) that unless the reamer (adjustable) is very good trying to remove very small amounts can result in skidding rather than reaming?

Others will know better.

Johnny B