Model 8 rear suspension

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Phil35p

Model 8 rear suspension

Post by Phil35p »

I'm getting a Model 8 350 back into use after a rash auction site purchase last year of a rolling chassis and three crates of bits. Lots of niggles, but the rear shocks on the bike are 15inch between mounting holes. I was looking to replace them but replacement Girlings are 12.9inch. Anyone know what the stock bike should have?, mine could well be a bitsa!
Martin.S

Re: Model 8 rear suspension

Post by Martin.S »

I have a NOS pair here - off the bike - measures approx. 15-1/8"
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Welcome to the club Philip, lightweight units are about that length so they are correct, but why change them for new at great expense, you need to buy a pair of black upper covers 5"long and a pair of chrome lower covers 4" long.

Black cover 024445
Chrome cover 023481

The covers are for sale with club spares and AMC CLASSICS and ebay, add to that a new set of bushes and you now have a good set, as long as the damper works, it damps in one direction only, they very rarely leak.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Interesting. I didn't know the spares dept had these. I repainted mine and found some chrome sleeves that fitted.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Paul,

These are common parts from the heavyweight models, just a case of cross ref the part numbers, maybe the spares guys don't know.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Phil35p

Post by Phil35p »

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am new to this restoring lark so wanted to check they weren't a later add on. They seem ok off the bike so will just replace the bushes for now.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

cbranni wrote:Welcome to the club Philip, lightweight units are about that length so they are correct, but why change them for new at great expense, you need to buy a pair of black upper covers 5"long and a pair of chrome lower covers 4" long.

Black cover 024445
Chrome cover 023481

The covers are for sale with club spares and AMC CLASSICS and ebay, add to that a new set of bushes and you now have a good set, as long as the damper works, it damps in one direction only, they very rarely leak.

Colin
New stocks of both have just been ordered, should be with us by end of next week.