Model 8 frame change

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Steve S

Model 8 frame change

Post by Steve S »

Well the global events now give me plenty of time to change the frame of my Model 8 after discovering the bike I bought was a 350 in a 250 frame!

One member kindly sold me a correct frame for a good price and I have started stripping the bike down, but have got stuck in not being able to remove the primary chaincase - I think the Wellseal has done too much of a good job!

I've had the chaincase off twice before when I rebuilt the gearbox so I am surprised it hasn't just pulled off as usual. I've tried tapping with a wooden mallet and pulling through the filling hole, but am now not sure what else I can try - any suggestions would be welcome, thank you, Steve S.
cbranni

Re: Model 8 frame change

Post by cbranni »

I don't think the wellseal would be a problem, is there any movement at all at any point around the casing?
only dead fish go with the flow
clive

Post by clive »

I am not a lightweight owner but are you sure there is no hidden bolt or screw that has been overlooked this time?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Thanks folks, now have it off, I put the end of a wooden mallett into the filler hole and levered. This produced a very slight change in note when I tapped the right hand side of the casing which led to it slowly coming apart. The Wellseal was really strong; I may have used too much but the case had never leaked! Now to the rest of the job.

Steve S.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

So much for my theory then :oops: but you got there so it's good result

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Wellseal is the business!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Frame change going really well after finally working out how the two parts of the frame and centre stand bolt together.

Now about to put the forks on and the engine in, but first I will put the swinging arm in. Bushes seems fine, but am perplexed to the reference to "large felt washers" which go at each end of the spindle which are mentioned in the Lightweight frame article available on the archives. Mine didn't have these and had no end play, does anyone have a view on this please?

Steve S.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I think these are there to keep the crap out and the oil in.