AJS model 8 won’t start

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
markthompson59+

AJS model 8 won’t start

Post by markthompson59+ »

Hi all. My AJS Model 8 wont start. I have a spark at plug but bike won't even try to start. A few weeks ago it started but was back firing badly. Left for several weeks and now won't start. Any ideas?
dave16mct

Re: AJS model 8 won’t start

Post by dave16mct »

I'd try a new condensor first (backfiring). If that doesn't help, new plug, check points at at 14-16thou. Is the fuel fresh?
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Quite a lot of possibilities but first the simple and basic....as you say the bike's been unused for several weeks.

It's always good practice to fit a new plug e.g. a Champion N5C since it may spark when it's outside the engine but not when under compression. Cleaning modern plugs with anything other than a very soft brush or petrol soaked rag is likely to damage them by causing tracking scratches on the ceramic insulator around the central electrode.
Is the spark plug getting wet with fuel? If not, the carb pilot jet may be blocked/obstructed - a common occurrence with ethanol fuel.
Is the auto Advance/Retard working correctly? E.g. Is it returning to the retarded position at rest?

If you don't have one here's the Owners Manual for your bike:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

Otherwise............
(Apologies, but you'll get it sorted).

Imagegay boy names
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
markthompson59+

Post by markthompson59+ »

Thanks all for the advice