Oil circulation time

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
pallijen

Oil circulation time

Post by pallijen »

HI, after lots of work have finally got my G3LS started. Bought as a non runner with electric fault thought the thorspark ignition was the cause but was a dodgy spark plug. So now I have changed the oil, cleaned the filter but there is no oil returning. Should I have filled the filter housing also or will it fill up as the engine runs? How long can I run the engine for without causing any damage if there's no oil coming through? According to the manual there should be a 2nd small gauze filter but when I disconnected from under the oil tank there wasn't one. The oil tank looks slightly different from the one in the book where it has the main oil filter behind the filler spout as opposed to alongside. The carburettor is a 76 type with 4 holes in the base of the mixing chamber where there is usually only one. Is this correct or is this carburettor from an earlier period. What spark plug would be suitable? I took out the 1/2" reach from my Velocette and the bike started straight away although what was in was a 3/4" reach spark plug. Just filled up with Castrol Classic but am wondering would I be able to use a modern synthetic oil of say 10/40 to top up? Thanks for any info.
Merlin

Re: Oil circulation time

Post by Merlin »

Modern detergent oils are not good for old engines unless they have been rebuilt and clean,they scour the muck of and block oil ways.
Chemists do it with test tubes
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It would help if you said what year your bike is. I'm guessing it's about 1954?? You have probabely got an alloy cylinder head so it should be a long reach plug, use a Champion N5C. Oil always takes a long time to return on the first start up, several minutes, but make sure you've put the oil pipes on the correct way round. Straight 50 oil would be better but you'll be OK with the 20/50 Classic. Don't use the 10/40 except to oil your cables!
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I suggest you put the correct plug Champion N5 should be OK. Do not use the 1/2" reach plug. It may burn the threads and you may no longer be able to get the correct plug in again.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Remove the oil supply pipe and check the filter gauze hasn't slipped down inside - if it has it may be clogged and blocking the oil supply to the engine.

Regards Mick
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

here is one for thought, a p/o of my '42 Ariel w/ng has fitted an independent replaceable filter in the return, he told me he ran the bike on diesel detergent oil and this stopped any nasty bits recirculating, I'm doing the same, so far without any nasty results, whadda you think? kind regards
pallijen

Post by pallijen »

Ok, thanks all, have just ordered a couple of gallons of the Castrol Classic GP50 Monograde engine oil and 2 KLG FE80 plugs. Sorry, forgot to mention, bike is 1953. If it takes a while for the oil to come through I'll pull the return pipe off as advised although would I need to start the engine? Would kicking the bike over not still force the oil through so I could watch it come out of the return? Does it do any harm to the engine if I don't put a bit of oil in the sump to start things off?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The gauze strainer is on the supply side - not the return.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

[quote="pallijen] Would kicking the bike over not still force the oil through so I could watch it come out of the return? Does it do any harm to the engine if I don't put a bit of oil in the sump to start things off?[/quote]
Yes kicking it over would eventually result in oil returning but I guess your leg would expire first. As suggested it can take 5 or more minutes for oil to start returning with the engine running. That's a lot of revolutions. Most of it will be spent filling the crankcase to allow the return side of the pump to work. My advice is to pour quite a bit of oil down the pushrod tubes which will find its way to the crankcase whilst at the same time lubricating the cams. That way the return starts quicker and your blood pressure does not rise.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

clive wrote:[quote="pallijen] Would kicking the bike over not still force the oil through so I could watch it come out of the return? Does it do any harm to the engine if I don't put a bit of oil in the sump to start things off?
Yes kicking it over would eventually result in oil returning but I guess your leg would expire first. As suggested it can take 5 or more minutes for oil to start returning with the engine running. That's a lot of revolutions. Most of it will be spent filling the crankcase to allow the return side of the pump to work. My advice is to pour quite a bit of oil down the pushrod tubes which will find its way to the crankcase whilst at the same time lubricating the cams. That way the return starts quicker and your blood pressure does not rise.[/quote][/quote]

Spot on Clive. Mind you I would love to see somebody getting a flow of oil though by kicking, I'm pretty fit and I don't think I could do it. Got to be good for a laugh though. :rofl: