276 new float

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Oldmojo

Re: 276 new float

Post by Oldmojo »

The fuel level for these float chambers should be 1 5/16" down from the top edge of the float chamber.
REW

Post by REW »

ITMA gave me the advice I needed in this thread: http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6818

Note particularly how to achieve a seal between float needle and seat without the use of abrasives.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

arcturus wrote:I used the new needle with the new float. To get the level right I will need to cut a new groove in the needle, which I'd rather not do.
I know I suggested that in my earlier post but it really was 'tongue in cheek' and a last resort. You shouldn't need to do that if you have the correct needle and float. There must be either some distortion of the float or incorrect assembly of the carb.
I suppose there's always the possibility that the wrong needle or float was put in the float/needle package............... :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
arcturus

Post by arcturus »

Oldmojo wrote:The fuel level for these float chambers should be 1 5/16" down from the top edge of the float chamber.
Thanks! I'll check this out.
arcturus

Post by arcturus »

REW wrote:ITMA gave me the advice I needed in this thread: http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6818

Note particularly how to achieve a seal between float needle and seat without the use of abrasives.
This thread was very interesting. The issue with occasional flooding was discussed, and I started thinking. There were a lot of stuff floating around inside the float chamber. Perhaps the random flooding could have been caused by debris in the needle valve? Also, I did find two small holes in a solder joint of the old float.

Btw, I had also "invented" the tecnique of opening the petrol tap, tickle the carb a bit, CLOSE the tap, start the bike and then opening the petrol tap again :D