Teledraulic Fork Questions

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
George Kaplan

Teledraulic Fork Questions

Post by George Kaplan »

I need to rebuild my 1 1/4" forks for a G3 and I have 3 questions.

1. The new parts that came from AMC Classic include bronze top bushes. The old bushes are plastic and I have seen new plastic ones mentioned in several fork rebuild threads on here. Which ones are considered best by the folks on here, bronze or plastic?

2. The manual mentions a damping mod that was introduced in 1962 to the scrambler bikes which entailed binning the rebound spring and changing the position and size of the oil holes in the dampers. Whilst I am not building a Scrambler, I was wondering if this damping mod or possibly some other damping mod was worth doing to these forks to improve them? Also what is the opinion on binning the rebound spring?

3. I had a look in the manual and couldn't see the recommended clearances for the top and bottom bushes and the stanchion and slider. Can anyone point me in the direction of the specs?

Thanks

John
ajscomboman

Re: Teledraulic Fork Questions

Post by ajscomboman »

Bronze bushes are the best. There are no known specs for the bushes, just make sure everything is a nice sliding fit. Removing the buffer spring in the scrambler was done to increase the fork travel and the damper altered to accommodate this. It's not worth carrying out the mod on a road bike in my opinion.
George Kaplan

Re: Teledraulic Fork Questions

Post by George Kaplan »

ajscomboman wrote:Bronze bushes are the best. There are no known specs for the bushes, just make sure everything is a nice sliding fit. Removing the buffer spring in the scrambler was done to increase the fork travel and the damper altered to accommodate this. It's not worth carrying out the mod on a road bike in my opinion.
Thanks for the info. I will leave the forks as they are.

John