Re: How far to go?

Post by G3L1946 »

Thanks, will examine to see if cause.

Regards,

Stephen
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Thanks for the background as it does (or may) help to put any issues with the bike in the context of its past.
G3L1946 wrote: My estimation of annual mileage may be up for debate. Once I get going, who knows!
Indeed so. Countless times after 'nipping out' on a fine day just to give the bike a short test run I've been enjoying it too much to stop and ridden off into the lanes for maybe another couple of hours. :)
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Stuart Jenkins wrote:Hi Stephen,
Oil in the mag drive cover could be due to the bush being fitted the wrong way round? Easy fix if it is, press out and turn it round.
Hope this helps.
Stuart
One bush from club spares that I fitted some years ago had the spiral cut full length but wrong-handed, thus 'screwing' a fast flow of oil into the mag drive housing. Although the bush was replaced FOC I had to strip the engine again to replace it. :headbang:

Here's an old one from my '54 G3LS that I kept (in a box of duff spark plugs :roll: ).

The second pic with the bush rotated 180 deg shows where the spiral has begun to wear away in one area (which is at the point corresponding to when the cam is lifting the tappet against the valve spring force).
Bush cam axle (640x480) (2).jpg
Bush cam axle wear (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I always start a restoration prepared to take it to 'nuts and bolts' level. In practice, I have never had the need to do this, as the dis-assembly progresses you will find points where you are confident no further breakdown is necessary.

My advice would be to break the project down into manageable chunks, (though these can be carried out concurrently as time, experience, spares and funds allow).

If you are going to get the frame painted / coated, now is the time to do it, but if your getting an outside agency to do this send all of the other parts that require the same treatment at once, it's cheaper that way.

Wheels are probably the easiest sub assemblies to tackle, DIY wheel building, if they need it, is within the capability of anyone with a bit of patience and ability to work methodically. Bearings, with luck, will only require in situ cleaning, greasing and adjustment, brakes, cleaning and adjustment, new rubber if needs and you've got two nice big ticks in the box ;)

I'd go for the forks next if they're teledraulic - again easy to restore. Take them apart and with a following wind you'll only need a pair of oil seals and a few fibre washers, (slider extensions and stanchions are the 'big ticket' items here).

The gearbox is a fairly easy strip down but if it selects all gears and spins freely you could just drain it and as long as the oil shows no evidence of water, rust or metal particulate just replace the oil.

I agree with what's been said about the engine earlier, don't split the crank cases unless you need to - these are 'agricultural' engines.

Regards Mick
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi to all responders and thank you,

All taken on board. Just a further clarification. I'm going to replace the offending leaking bush within the magneto case, bottom sprocket. Can this be tackled by simply (?) removing the chain, sprocket and removal of the next piece of casing ( shown # 018308 in manual, but no name ? ). This would not require a complete engine ‘split'.
As regards painting I'm on a bit of a budget ( aren't we all, especially on a pension ) so I'm not sure about the frame but the other tinware ( tool boxes, mudguards, petrol tank ) I'll get sprayed locally.
Thanks for your support,

Stephen
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

G3L1946 wrote: I'm going to replace the offending leaking bush within the magneto case, bottom sprocket. Can this be tackled by simply (?) removing the chain, sprocket and removal of the next piece of casing ( shown # 018308 in manual, but no name ? ). This would not require a complete engine ‘split'.

I'm on a bit of a budget ( aren't we all, especially on a pension )
Yes you can do that for the 'outer' bush. On re-reading my earlier post I realise that it was a bit ambiguous/muddled which is another effect of being old enough for a pension :oops:
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

I know the feeling.....all too well! Thanks for your help.
Much appreciated.
Stephen