new owner Matchless G3 62

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
dynamic

new owner Matchless G3 62

Post by dynamic »

Hi I have just become the owner of a 1962 Matchless G3 eng no. G341781 g/boxG 35908 can I please ask oil levels/amounts for G/box eng/ primary

there is a 12volt coil fitted & I have a spark was this machine originaly 6 volt ?

frame has been powder coated so I need to discover frame no. by the headstock ?

also is there a manual I can obtain many thanks Stanley
SPRIDDLER

Re: new owner Matchless G3 62

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome Stanley.
You'll find answers to your questions and all manner of info in the manuals under 'Books' on the privately run website known a 'Christians Archive'..... link below.

http://archives.jampot.dk/

Bear in mind that apart from the tank badge and seat piping colour the AJS model 16 is the same as your G3.

Here's a pic showing location of the frame number:
framenumbers.jpg
If you haven't already done so I recommend you subscribe to the club since as a Guest your time for posting questions is limited with limited access to all the available information. Only subscribing members can purchase spare parts from the club shop.
Enjoy the G3!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dynamic

Post by dynamic »

Hi Spriddler thank you for the reply most informative, my first Brit single so I just want to become more familiar with it, I will certainly join the club
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Your engine number would indicate that you have one of the so-called "ultra short-stroke" models with engine dimensions of 74x81mm. These were only built for two years before being replaced with the "short stroke" motor which used 72x85.5mm and continued until the end of production.
The F. Neill singles manual does cover some of the details for these models such as ignition timing, carb settings etc. but they ride completely differently to the longstroke models being rev happy and rather quick for a 350 single.
It would originally have used a 6V set-up.
dynamic

Post by dynamic »

Hi Reynard thanks for your info I know the bike has been stood for quite a while it is fitted with a 12v coil and does spark with 12v battery lights & horn work with no smoke or funny smells, I had an endoscope down the plug hole and bore looks in good order & piston looks new
the pilot jet is completley blocked which I have now snapped in carb body awaiting a new pilot, there is no oil in the tank so I am assuming once filled (4 pints 20/50 ) I will need to prime the engine/pump by kicking over 20+ times ?
dynamic

Post by dynamic »

pic of G3 1962
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

If no oil in tank then check the sump first otherwise you risk over-filling with oil.
Sam
dynamic

Post by dynamic »

I guess i remove the sump drain bolt check for debris clean & refit ? I also run a T100 Triumph 68 do I need to get some oil down to the pick up return pipe before attempting start up ei. to help prime the pump ?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

dynamic wrote:I guess i remove the sump drain bolt check for debris clean & refit ?
Hi

If the bike has been standing for some time it can 'wet sump', oil leaks past the oil pump and pools in the sump. The level in the oil tanks drops accordingly - if you re-fill the oil tank and then start the bike the oil in the sump will be returned to the tank and possibly overfill it.

Starting a bike that has wet sumped without draining the sump risks blowing copious quantities of oil out of the breather and splashing excess oil onto the cylinder causing smoking from the exhaust.

Wet sumping can also cause oil to migrate from the crank case sump to the primary chain case via thew main bearing resulting in oil leaks in use.

Regards Mick
dynamic

Post by dynamic »

Hi Mick thanks for the advice I will remove sump drain plug & report all progress when my new pilot jet arrives

now a silly question what type of oil do owners use in the engine 20/50 ? I use Morris golden classic SAE 40 in my 68 Triumph T 100 would this be suitable ?

PS yes im very new to the Matchless world