How to remove fork stanchions from sliders

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Malcolm
You can use what ever fixing was holding the cap on, stud or bolt, the studding is about 18" long, I have sent you a pm
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
bunners

Post by bunners »

Go to Tech articles - Tech tips - Suspension - removing fork seals
this method works a treat well it does for me anyway. Not sure if you can access this as a non member
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
ageing rocker

Post by ageing rocker »

quote:
Offcut of steel around 2"sq 3/8 thick,drill two holes to bolt the offcut to the bottom of the leg, in the centre of these holes drill n tap a hole to suit a 3/8 BSF length of studding. bolt the plate on, screw in the stud and push the stantion out with the seal, takes two minutes.

Hi Colin I am absolutely blown away by the simplicity of your ingenious seal removal tool. Everyone else is talking about vices and hydraulic jacks etc. and pulling while you come up with a small piece of plate and pushing. Absolutely brilliant. Many thanks. Ron
ageing rocker

Post by ageing rocker »

quote:
quote:
Offcut of steel around 2"sq 3/8 thick,drill two holes to bolt the offcut to the bottom of the leg, in the centre of these holes drill n tap a hole to suit a 3/8 BSF length of studding. bolt the plate on, screw in the stud and push the stantion out with the seal, takes two minutes.

Hi Colin I am absolutely blown away by the simplicity of your ingenious seal removal tool. Everyone else is talking about vices and hydraulic jacks etc. and pulling while you come up with a small piece of plate and pushing. Absolutely brilliant. Many thanks. Ron

Just to reinforce my previous posting, in the last 40 minutes I have made Colin's extractor tool and removed both oil seals and bushes from my teles. No heat, no jacks, no hammers, no sweat. I can thoroughly recommend it and I would go as far as to say that anyone attempting to remove seals using any other method is in need of serious help.
Thanks again Colin
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Glad to be of help Ron
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Colin,
As supposedly said at Balaclava,
'C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!
A brilliantly simple, cheap and most effective tool now on the rack in my garage.
A thousand thanks for saving bloodshed and much swearing.
Best regards.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Malcolm gwneud yn dda (well done)Edited by - cbranni on 23 Oct 2012 11:33:37 PM
bjork

Re: How to remove fork stanchions from sliders

Post by bjork »

cbranni wrote:Offcut of steel around 2"sq 3/8 thick,drill two holes to bolt the offcut to the bottom of the leg, in the centre of these holes drill n tap a hole to suit a 3/8 BSF length of studding. bolt the plate on, screw in the stud and push the stantion out with the seal, takes two minutes.
Time for me to resurrect an old post, Colin (cbranni) posted this years ago and I was waiting till now to have my chance to try it out.
Well, it's blindingly simple and effective! I used material/threaded rod that I had to hand as I didn't want to go shopping again for more stuff. I had some 7/16 whitworth rod lying about and a block of alloy to drill and tap. Even with my fabrication skills it took only minutes to do the drilling and tapping. The actual extraction of the seals took even less :)

So thanks Colin, I hope by bringing your original post back up it helps a few others avoid the blood, sweat and tears that used to be part of this job.

It really is easier than any other way I've tried or heard about. :beer:
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

cbranni wrote:Offcut of steel around 2"sq 3/8 thick,drill two holes to bolt the offcut to the bottom of the leg, in the centre of these holes drill n tap a hole to suit a 3/8 BSF length of studding. bolt the plate on, screw in the stud and push the stantion out with the seal, takes two minutes.
I must be a bit dense. The idea sounds fine, pushing against the damper, this then pushes against the fork leg and the top bush, forcing the top bush and oil seal out of the slider. The question that I have is, how is the thread at the bottom of the damper rod not damaged?
Am I missing something in my understanding of the action of this method of dismantling the fork leg? If so, please explain.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

This is a very elegant solution but in my case the much reported 'grip the stanchion in a vice and vigorously extend the slider' succeeded after about three extensions per side, (don't forget to drain the leg and leave off the drain plug).

I'd advise trying the easy way first - then if you don't succeed fabricate a pusher.

Regards Mick