55 SR1 Magneto Threads

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Groily

Re: 55 SR1 Magneto Threads

Post by Groily »

If there's any screw slot left for a scrooge, try heating the case up a bit in case there's loctite in there - there often is. Plus the usual corrosion when the different metals get up close to each other.
The screws are 1/4 x 20 BSW, 5/8" long. An easy make with a bit of threaded rod or a beheaded set screw if you can rustle up summat suitable.
One I just removed to measure came out in the 'normal' way - upwards as it were. Bit tight, but heat gun and penetrating oil and it came OK.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

markwhitelock wrote:The original screws are a lot smaller at the top where the slotted end is and do not back up out of the hole, they have to be loosened to remove the coil then screwed back in to remove the grub screw.
Hmmm - Don't see how they would partially thread the magneto body, (from the inside), the outer ends have probably just been peened to provide a degree of thread locking after the screw was inserted.

Easy enough to replicate the screw head with a file if you don't have a lathe ;)

Regards Mick
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

Thanks Groily.

Yes, I'm not sure Mick, I was just going on that photo earlier in the thread..

alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Those 1/4 dia holes get all furred up. measure with the butt end of a 1/4 drill. verniers are inaccurate in small holes
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

If they are threaded, they are smaller still