Dealer Decal Detail

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Mick D

Dealer Decal Detail

Post by Mick D »

Hi

My first post since joining this fine body.

The restoration of my 1961 G3 is nearing completion and my aim is to return it to as near 'showroom' condition as possible. To that end I would like to reproduce the original supplying dealership decal.
Hawken Decal.png
As you see, my decal is damaged, does anyone know where I could find an image of this decal in order to have a reproduction made? Tried the usual suppliers and Google image searches to no avail.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Dealer Decal Detail

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.08.21_21h15m57s_003_.png
Don't know where you can get a decal exactly as you have.
I made an excel file of decals and dealers plus images. The list can sort alphabetically to find a town or dealer name. Saves me time hunting. I found the Freddie Hawken decal above. Seems Freddie had shops in different towns, this one is Newton Abbot. Contact the dealer decals company on 01758 613788 or e mail Val@rocketgs.freeserve.co.uk.
Not the design you really want, but perhaps it should had gone on a Matchless instead of a Scooter decal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Rob

I'd found that decal during my searching, and to be honest, I prefer it to the original. I need to find my original buff log book to see which of Freddie's outlets the bike came from - I'm an Exeter boy by birth and that's where I bought the bike back in the early seventies, (I think I'm only the second owner).

I do intend to get an authenticity certificate soon, so perhaps that would indicate the branch.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If you send the worn image (with dimensions) of the original decal the firm below could probably recreate it with the correct layout, colour and fonts. They'll email a proof to you for consideration. Yours is more complex and would be more difficult but it's worth a try for the sake of an email.

http://www.sussexsigncentre.co.uk/

They've produced several for me on magnetic vinyl so that they are removable (as photo below) and also a pair on very thin self adhesive backing (not shown). This one changing 'Matchless' to 'Mutchless' for about £20 a pair.

and this one for my unwanted Honda
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The dealer decal transfer people will also make a transfer, I guess by doing that they add to their range, a few years ago they only listed about 150 transfers, now its over 300
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks for the contact Spriddler, I'll get in touch with them.

Rob, I was in contact with Val at Dealer Decals last week - she told me she could no longer get decals made :(
However Classic Transfers have already made a decal for a Lucas 6 volt coil to match my original so I was going to approach them, I'm just hoping I can locate a better image, maybe from the local paper, (Express and Echo), or motorcycle magazine of that era.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Just for interest Freddie Hawken sold the business..... and it's now Torbay Motorcycles which exists today.

Freddie Hawken, an international rider, joined the Sharman motorcycle empire after the war and later went on to own and run his own businesses in Torquay and Newton Abbot (in The Avenue, Newton Abbot, the showroom being where Enterprise Car Hire now operates and the workshops now the Audi Garage).
When Freddie decided to concentrate more on cars he sold the bike side of the trade to long time staff members John Wilcocks and Cyril Short and that was the start of Torbay Motorcycles Ltd.

Here he is outside his Newton Abbott shop.....

You never know but perhaps somewhere in a dusty cupboard at Torbay Motorcycles there are some old documents or even a dealer's sticker :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mick D wrote:Thanks for the contact Spriddler, I'll get in touch with them.

Rob, I was in contact with Val at Dealer Decals last week - she told me she could no longer get decals made :(
However Classic Transfers have already made a decal for a Lucas 6 volt coil to match my original so I was going to approach them, I'm just hoping I can locate a better image, maybe from the local paper, (Express and Echo), or motorcycle magazine of that era.

Regards Mick
I seems impossible not to be able to get details made anymore. It is probably more easier now than in the past. Sounds more like they have had enough Mick and running down to retirement. Hope when they finally pack up, they will still have master copies or artwork, of the 300 + range they have built up.
I recall years ago I got a handwritten list of some 150 transfers from Val. I turned it into a word doc for her. I don't think they have a written list on the website now.
20/40

Post by 20/40 »

On the topic of Dealer Decal's Does anyone have information on the location on machines where the Dealer Decal would best be placed ? or is it a personal preference ?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Mine was placed on the rear light / number plate housing:
Mudguard Decal 2.png
Regards Mick