G3LS 1955 FRONT WHEEL SPINDLE / parts and nuts

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
rudelan_LAPSED

G3LS 1955 FRONT WHEEL SPINDLE / parts and nuts

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

I disassembled my front wheel. The nut is missing at the end of the shaft. Does anyone have a picture of the complete spindle with nuts & others parts? So I can see what I miss.
Thanks in advance, Ruddy ;)
Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it
dave16mct

Re: G3LS 1955 FRONT WHEEL SPINDLE / parts and nuts

Post by dave16mct »

It's all in the manual:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf

Cheers Dave.
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

OK, thanks!

What is the measurement of the nut at the end of front spindle? BSF 26 Tpi of course ...but?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The nut is 3/8" BSW

Regards Mick

Edit: Sorry, this could be misleading - The thread is 1/2" x 26 TPI, the nut is a reduced size to that of a 7/16" one which equates to 3/8" BSW spanner size.
Last edited by Mick D on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Tthe hexagon nut at the end of the spindle away from the brake is 1/2 in CEI (26 TPI, 60 Deg thread angle) but it uses the smaller 7/16 hexagon size, so is a special. The brake end uses a special nut to hold the brake backplate in position. See the parts list, URL above. Cheers, Andy
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Hi,

Diameter 12,9 mm

Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

It looks a bit chewed up to me. The threaded part should be a few thousands of an inch less than 1/2 inch (12.7mm) diameter because of thread tolerances and thread crest rounding, and then a bit less for 60 years of wear. If it measures 12.9mm then probably someone has screwed a metric nut on it at some time and distorted the threads. I recommend you run a die over the threads to clean them up; Tracy Tools, Devon, sell CEI dies at reasonable prices - I recommend you gewt a set 1/4 - 1/2 in taps & dies to help in your restoration. Andy
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Hello, ok i see... Thanks 😉

Regards Ruddy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Still questions are asked about fitting sizes. Is there any point in making all this info available, and it not being used.
REMEMBER. parts lists up to approx. 1951 gave many fitting sizes, almost all 26 tpi cycle thread. The 1955 front wheel spindle nut just happens to be the very oldest of standard fittings. 000001 being the new pt. number. prior to 1952 this part had is old standard pt. no. STD 1. Which has been in use since the late 1920's. Any pt. no. starting with 3 or more zero's of which there are over 700. Can easily be converted to the old pt.no. by deleting all the number prefix zero's and replacing them with STD. You do not have to go searching old parts lists to discover a fitting size. Use this book. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... n_List.pdf
Most common fittings were used from the 1920's onwards, up to the end of AMC machines. Search the new pt. no. in the above book and you should find the fitting sizes.
This book is also handy if you own a pre 1952 machine that lists parts under the old pt. no's. You may be looking for a part that is not listed available from club spares. Refer to the book to discover the part NEW pt. no. If you then check club spares you may find they have the part in stock. I have checked and listed in a excel file over 300 parts that the club stocks, but you will not find any of these parts unless you use the new pt. no. Often have seen requests for parts saying the club have not got them, the people wanting these parts are told to try Russells perhaps. Not knowing the club have them, as they are listed under their new pt. no.
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

OK, I understood ..

But not easy for me because my G3LS is a patchwork at the level of the bolts and nuts. I will look better and ask no more questions about it. Sorry
Thank you for this technical information.
Ruddy