leaking pushrod seal quick fix

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
mick h

leaking pushrod seal quick fix

Post by mick h »

Having been on a few short rides since purchasing my 1952 g3ls 350, with a 1954 engine fitted, I have found it runs and rides perfectly, except an annoyingly bad oil leak from bottom of the intake pushrod tube. As it was my intention to ride throughout the summer and see what develops and repair any problems over winter this was most annoying. So after much searching the forum and seeing wellseal getting good reviews I had an idea. Without any dismantling i cleaned the area up with degreaser on a quality kitchen roll, twice !!, left it 24 hours than wiped it the same again. Put some well seal on my finger and worked it in the gap, wiping of the excess with degreaser , put a blob on a piece of card, waited 15 mins then using a very fine paint brush applied some more from the blob which had thickened slightly. I then stood back looked at what I had done and thought that I had probably wasted my time !! . I then left well alone for 24 hours, then took it out for a 40 mile run totally leak free. Result !!! . New pushrod seals on winter repair list. If or when my repair starts to leak again I will let you all know, hope this helps some of you , mick h
Mick D

Re: leaking pushrod seal quick fix

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If it begins to leak later in the year try soaking a piece of thin cord in Welseal and wrapping it around the joint.

Regards Mick
56G80S

Re: leaking pushrod seal quick fix

Post by 56G80S »

"piece of thin cord in Welseal and wrapping it around the joint"

Definitely going to try that!

Johnny B