Intro and what have I got

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Rob Harknett

Re: Intro and what have I got

Post by Rob Harknett »

If you click to submit a posting, that is not instant, so you may have shut down before it uploaded. I am sure you should had see rules etc. But these are seldom read so you just click agree without reading. Your time limit as guest also boundary's you have free access to on our website would have been mentioned. I think you will find you have a little less than 3 months free access. 90 days in fact. The cost of a full years membership may prove a good investment also save you money.
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

OK folks thanks for the informative replies.

I didn't realise about the 90 day rule but had assumed that non members had limitations on what they can do.

I will be joining the club just as soon as I start the G3 project which will be once I have finished off another bike project.

I forgot until today that I had kept a couple of books from when I had the previous G3. A copy of Pitmans Book of the Motorcycle and also a BMS Service Series for the 350 and 500 heavyweight singles. I note from these books that the internal gearbox ratios are the same for both bikes. The competition gearbox has different 1st and 2nd ratios to the standard box.

I might well use the 53 crankcases if I can repair them, they need some welding and machining. I will probably sell the other G3 cases. I need to find out more about the AJS numbers.

I assume that the "through studs" mean that the studs go from crankcase to the top of the cylinder. I will have to look to see if these are available as I have an iron barrel.

Thanks again

John
Janet

Post by Janet »

Rob Harknett wrote:G2 refers to the Burman gearbox number Janet. Not a G2 model bike. You will find Burman gearbox numbers commence G followed by other numbers and letters like 3 even 45, 79, 88 etc.
So the number that follows the 'G' has nothing to do with the model of bike? No wonder I'm confused.
Every day's a school day.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

No Janet, G2 is part of the gearbox number. Going a bit off topic, but all helps the understanding about the different bikes, models, years etc.
The gearbox is nothing like the one on this 1936 G2 Matchless either.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.04.30_21h05m36s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Studs on the all alloy comp bikes go from the crankcases through the barrells and the head, held with special long sleeve nuts. What needs welding?
Dave.
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

"What needs welding?"

One of the mounting screws for the primary chain and also one of the oil feed ports. I will take a couple of pictures and post tomorrow.

John
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Here are the two areas on the 53 cases that need repair

Also, I did some googling and saw on matchlesswd.co.uk that Service Replacement engines had a riveted on engine number. Could my other set of earlier G3 cases, which i thought had had a repair, actually be these type of cases that someone has removed the plate with the engine number? It certainly looks like a possibility if you checkout the photo on the above mentioned site and this picture of my cases.

If no one on here has a better suggestion that's where my money is going

John
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

HI John,

The bottom picture with the /G3LC stamp on it looks like a WD crank case to me. you are quite correct about the brass plate which was often lost/removed when the engines were rebuilt by military workshops, they were then re stamped by the workshop which can account for somewhat haphazard stamping on these crank cases. In wartime conditions, engines were swapped out from spare ones on the shelf to get the bikes back into service as quickly as possible which is why it is very rare to get a WD bike with the engine it originally left the factory with.

You have a very eclectic set of parts there, so what ever you decide to build will be very much your own, but none the worse for that. Good luck with the project.

Kind regards

Tommy RE
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

War time machines were also captured and re stamped, then perhaps re captured. So they can end up with some odd engine and frame stampings. Also the rebuild stampings, often had the details stamped on a plate, fitted inside the tool box.
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Thanks guys, I will sell the WD cases. They need to go into a WD bike, with any luck someone out there needs a set.

I will see where I end up with the 53 cases once I weld them. I am thinking of building them into a G3C with alloy top end, assuming I can work out where to get an alloy barrel without having to get a second mortgage. I will leave the 350/500 AJS as it is and see what its like, I have been told that a 350 with a 500 top end is a good combination. We shall see.

John