Camshaft confusion

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

Camshaft confusion

Post by Pharisee »

As I've mentioned in previous threads, I've got a 1954 G3/LS that I bought as a 'basket case'. At the moment, the cams are confusing me somewhat (not difficult to do, I'm afraid). The engine was completely dismantled when I bought it so I can't be absolutely certain that the cams I have are the ones fitted to the engine originally.
According to the manuals I've read the '54-'55 engines have high lift cams, marked "HL", fitted and the inlet cam wheel has three dots stamped onto it, marked "1", "2" & "3". The dot "3" used for setting the 350cc inlet timing, the "2" for 500cc inlet timing. The exhaust for both engines uses the "2" dot.
My cams are marked "H" (not HL) but my cam wheels only have two dots on them ("1" & "2")

Have I got the correct camshafts and should I use the "2" dot for both inlet and exhaust timing?

Thanks
John

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
dave16mct

Re: Camshaft confusion

Post by dave16mct »

This can be very tricky. For '54 they should be marked 'H' and have 3 dots. You may be able to use them I'm not sure.
Have a look at this article by Ken De Groome:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Gen ... e_Dots.pdf

Dave.
Pharisee

Re: Camshaft confusion

Post by Pharisee »

dave16mct wrote:This can be very tricky. For '54 they should be marked 'H' and have 3 dots. You may be able to use them I'm not sure.
Have a look at this article by Ken De Groome:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Gen ... e_Dots.pdf

Dave.
Thanks for the link to Ken's article. That helps a lot :)

John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.