Forlorn Hope ????

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Tommy RE

Forlorn Hope ????

Post by Tommy RE »

I am currently trying to amass the various parts that got destroyed in the bonfire that was my G3 1940 WO last September. Whilst I am doing well for the most part, I am having real trouble getting hold of a Bakelite combined horn push and dipper switch part no. LU/No. 4. DCP. Tried Googling it and got no results. If any of you hoarders of bits out there has one of these squirrelled away, it has a very good home waiting for it on my soon to be resurrected military bike.

Kind regards,

Tommy RE
Janet

Re: Forlorn Hope ????

Post by Janet »

I know I won't have one but just in case I see one somewher, have you a picture of what it should look like?
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

A picture would be a good idea Neil. I am going to a bike jumble nearby on Sunday and will look out for one.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.05.17_19h58m00s_003_.png
. Lucas books seem to be a bit shy about listing this switch and pictures. The WD Matchless parts list shows only a horn button was used. No dip switch. Also the wiring diagram shows a twin filament bulb, with just one wire to one filament of the bulb, to the headlamp switch, no dip switch. Not needed on a wartime bike I guess with lamp cowl etc I am sure I had a busted one somewhere and it looked a bit like this dip switch made from Bakelite, but with horn button on top.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Thanks for all your replies.

1. Picture unavailable as the only example went up in smoke - not enough of the charred remains to be useful.

2. Very similar to the one pictured by Rob, but with horn push on top. It might be worth noting Rob that this is listed as LU/No. 4. DCP in the Matchless 350 1940 Parts Catalogue 350cc Model G3WO Frame Numbers 5000 - 6999
Engine Numbers 40-G3WO-8226 to 40-G3WO-10225 My bike being one of this batch

3. managed to obtain an NOS switch like the one Rob supplied a picture of and it looks like I will have to 'de-shiny' a separate horn push to do the job whilst I am searching.

4. Still looking for a Saddle, Lycett, Type 35/G3F60 if someone has one to sell that has a decent Rexene and Felt cover or even a decentish cover that bears the Lycett name that will fit.

Regards,

Tommy RE
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

I wonder if it may be worth giving Les Myers a call at Russell Motors. I know he has a large collection of WD M20 bits and I would imagine it would be very likely that the same Lucas components were used by most manufacturers at that time. May also apply to the Lycette saddle.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

JimFitz wrote:I wonder if it may be worth giving Les Myers a call at Russell Motors. I know he has a large collection of WD M20 bits and I would imagine it would be very likely that the same Lucas components were used by most manufacturers at that time. May also apply to the Lycette saddle.

Jim
HI Jim,
Les was the first person I tried, his reply was "You've got 2 chances, no and f@$% all" Thanks for the suggestion.

Tommy RE
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Paint a shinny horn push matt black Niel. Some early examples of horn buttons .
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.05.19_13h15m47s_004_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »