Centre Stand Spring Fitting

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Dale

Centre Stand Spring Fitting

Post by Dale »

Continuing the saga of the centre stand spring fitting, I have found a very successful method of doing this.
I know the idea of Jubilee clips has been mentioned before, but if you just use a couple of clips, the unclamped coils still unwind.
My method, which I have just used makes the job easy...with no skinned knuckles!
Cut two pieces of 0.5mm thick mild steel the length of the spring coil and shape them around the coil so that you end up with two semi-circular halves. Place these top and bottom of the coil and fit the Jubilee clips at each end. Now, put the hook that goes through the engine plate in a vice. Then, put a tube over the long hook to act as a lever and turn the hook around until it is 90 degrees to the short hook facing down. Now, tighten the clips over the two halves of the metal cover at each end so that the clip screws face down. You may need another pair of hands to do this.
The spring coil is now held in tension and you can assemble your centre stand to the bike. Now, SLOWLY undo the clips ( making sure the spring is located in the engine plate). The spring will then move into its position on the crossbar of the stand. remove the Jubilee clips by unscrewing them all the way out and remove the two halves of the metal clamp....job done with no straining or stress! :lol:
SPRIDDLER

Re: Centre Stand Spring Fitting

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You don't need to faff about forming steel.
For donkey's years I've used a piece of plastic water pipe cut lengthways into two semi-circular halves and two Jubilee clips.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

Interesting stuff guys !........anything that saves the knuckles is worth a try 👍
I have just taken my centre stand off to weld a foot bar back on and sort a bent leg so will try your spring clamping method.

Cheers
Karol 🏍💨
Ride Safe & don'wear beige :lol:
Dale

Post by Dale »

Yes, plastic water pipe would probably do the job but will not have the same flexibility as thin metal, the internal radius of which will reduce to match the reducing radius of the coils as you put tension on it. This gives a much better grip.
If this post only helps one club member then it has been worth doing.
Anyway, I was under the impression that "faffing about" was an integral part of owning and maintaining old motorcycles!! :beer:
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Got any pics to share as this can be a pig of a job.
Mike
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

I have found the easiest method is to bend the spring from side to side while inserting washers or 2p coins between the coils until it is long enough to fit. then pull a few washers or coins out with pliers and the remainder will fall out.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Guess that would work for a side stand spring Jim ;)

Regards Mick
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Oops :oops:

Just been out to check my two swing arm Matchlesses and see that the spring is a different type to my G80 rigid and any other make of bike in my garage.

Hope I never need to replace the swinging arm stand spring - sounds a bugger to do.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
1957M30

Post by 1957M30 »

If you use this link http://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=49the last section deals with using the split tube method

Cheers

Karol 🏍💨💨💨
Ride Safe & don'wear beige :lol: