Rear wheel spokes

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
arcturus80

Re: Rear wheel spokes

Post by arcturus80 »

The only solution I've come up with so far is to drill out the nipples to shorten the thread on the side facing the hub. If I removed about 0.25" in that way they wouldn't bottom out in the thread. But that would shorten and weaken the thread and SHOULD NOT be required to make it fit. I don't get this. Devon has a good reputation and it's easy to see why. The rims are VERY good...

Oh, and they are exactly right diameter...
Janet

Post by Janet »

Do you have any of the original spokes that you could send as a pattern? That's what I did when I needed some. This meant I didn't need to worry about taking measurements.
clive

Post by clive »

Have you been back in touch with Devon wheels. With the photos you have it should be clear the are the wrong size. Wrongly binned or wrongly supplied to them?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

"Spokes have threads rolled in so that there are no sharp cuts which are stress risers."

When I read this I remembered that was the case. It's odd when that happens.

Johnny B
arcturus80

Post by arcturus80 »

Janet wrote:Do you have any of the original spokes that you could send as a pattern? That's what I did when I needed some. This meant I didn't need to worry about taking measurements.
The wheel that was on the bike is not correct. Completely different spoke pattern. VERY heavy duty spokes. Dimples in rim are different. Probably not an original AMC rim... But I have my G80 rim as reference...
arcturus80

Post by arcturus80 »

clive wrote:Have you been back in touch with Devon wheels. With the photos you have it should be clear the are the wrong size. Wrongly binned or wrongly supplied to them?
Yes. But so far they have only answered that they will "look into this and get back to me".
arcturus80

Post by arcturus80 »

I will try to find a photo of the wheel that was on the bike. Just to show you all what it looked like.
arcturus80

Post by arcturus80 »

Found a photo of the old wheel. From this angle it doesn't look to bad but there is much worse rust on the far side... The dimples are angled different on this rim (mirrored pattern I think). And the spokes are non-butted heavy gauge.

I'm trying to fit Devons heavy duty spokes to this hub and their rim meant for standard gauge spokes. I bought the rim and standard spokes (also too long at 8.5") at a online UK store earlier. When I found that the spokes were too long I returned them (and are still fighting for a refund), but I kept the rim. The idea was that the heavy duty spokes would fit the spoke holes in my hub better than the thinner standard spokes (and they do)... I checked with Devon and found out that the rim meant for their heavy duty spokes was the same as mine. I just need to drill out the nipple holes a bit (this should not be a problem as the rim is stainless and not chromed) I also got the information that the spokes would be 8.25" long when they actually were 8.5". If they had been 8.25", I would have had a shiny new wheel by now (Or perhaps not quite yet. I plan to refurbish the hub, and paint the middle part of the rim before lacing the wheel).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arcturus80

Post by arcturus80 »

Hi!
Got an update in this matter today from Devon:

"I cannot understand why a set of spokes were made to the 8.50 measurement and sent to you. We will make you a set to the 8.25 measurement and send out to you in the next day or so."

Seems like this will be sorted out in a very good way. Looking forward to getting the new spokes, getting the wheel painted, and then lacing a pair of fantastic looking new wheels. Won't be riding the bike this year though. Need to assemble the engine, go through the gear box, and assemble a big pile of other parts... But all that is just fun. The heavy restoring job are done.

Thank you all for your ideas regarding my problem. I will be posting other tricky questions in the future :beer:
clive

Post by clive »

arcturus80 wrote:Hi!
............ Won't be riding the bike this year though. Need to assemble the engine, go through the gear box, and assemble a big pile of other parts... But all that is just fun. The heavy restoring job are done.

Thank you all for your ideas regarding my problem. I will be posting other tricky questions in the future :beer:
Don't leave the other work too long without joining the club. As a guest member there is a time limit on how long you can ask questions :o
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix