Advice on potential purchase of a 16MS

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
spurrea

Re: Advice on potential purchase of a 16MS

Post by spurrea »

Thanks 1608
I think I concur
Main issue is the dynamo and this I would not be confident about dismantling as I understand it is awkward to remove and involves releasing the drive chain. I don't know how easy spares are too obtain.
If it was any easy fix I think the previous owners would have sorted.
Thanks everyone for your comments
Andy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Don't go losing too much sleep over the dynamo as the parts are available and they're not too scary to work on. Removal is a little bit of a pain to remove but working slowly and methodically it's pretty straightforward.

Roy's correct in his statement about costing money as soon as you get home but that's true with any old motorcycle. The deciding factor really is just how much you have/want to spend on a bike once you've got it home. It's a good starting point but as others have said the asking price is too high when taking into account the bits that are missing and those that are there needing work.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I agree with the more positive comments and also that it's over-priced by several hundred quid, BUT you do specifically want a '56 model, and buying any old bike (whether claimed to be 'perfect', 'recently restored' or 'regularly used') is always a gamble.
If, as the seller says he took it in part exchange and now just wants to liquidate it one can assume that he actually knows nothing about it other than what the previous owner told him. Few people tell a potential buyer what a pain the ruddy thing has been and that they'll be glad to get shot of it. Only a wheeler-dealer would accept a motorbike he doesn't want in part exchange for a car unless he could smell a decent profit. Whatever it sells for it'll probably need a couple of hundred spent (provided that you are willing to do a few simple jobs yourself with help and guidance from this Forum) to get it into decent useable condition.
You definitely need to view it, hear it running, and ride it around the block to check the gearbox/clutch as a minimum test before parting with any cash.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

If the seller has not noticed that the dynamo is not connected, what else does he not know or not willing to highlight. I wonder what he would say if you wanted to inspect it.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Heed the advice of the club members but do go and check it out that's what I did, take someone with you that knows about old bikes(not saying you don't but a pal helps moral)if you can and inspect/test ride it try and estimate in your head cost time and cash you think might be needed to get it good. Who knows you may even get it for less than you think if not walk away Good Luck
Last edited by shifter on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
?
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

Thanks Guys, your wise words have been noted.
As I will be in the area of the seller on 30th June, if it's not sold by then, I will look it over and take it for a test ride and report back to you all.
Cheers
Andy
shifter

Post by shifter »

I hope you will be doing this soon, My Old 16ms on an early morning run today I know she has not got a monobloc carb and other little things that makes her not a nut inspectors dream but she starts stops and runs very nice for being over 60
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
?
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

Nice looking machine Shifter, great spot for a photo
Ride safe
Cheers
Andy
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

Hi All,
Well I gave the owner a visit and had come prepared to take it out for. A test ride - how foolish of me...
When I arrived he said he had not been able to start the bike for a week (he had not mentioned this whan I arranged to visit a couple of days earlier). It did not start.
The photos on eBay are very flattering.Not sure when they were taken.
The rear light was missing, wires hanging out (he said the other one was rotten and he was going to put a new one on)
The front Speedo was missing, wires hanging out (he said the old one did not work and he had bought a new one but not fitted it yet) - funny how the advert said everything worked perfectly.
There was a pool of fresh oil under the engine
There was some fresh rubbery filler between the timing casing and engine.
As Roy had said, there were covers missing and what with the dynamo not wired in and the other detail that you have all commented on, the overall impression was not good.
I told him I was not interested and suggested politely that if he puts it on eBay again he should put it on for a lot less.
I notice he has Updated his advert
on eBay for a lot more £4,250?) and advert says 'The bike has been checked all over and it's in perfect working condition'
He said he did not know anything about bikes yet he had another bike hidden under a cover in his garage.
Well it was a worthwhile experience. I can only hope the next one I look at will be fantastic compared to this one.
Thank you again for all your comments and advice.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

spurrea wrote:Well it was a worthwhile experience. I can only hope the next one I look at will be fantastic compared to this one.
Yes Andy, disappointing , but it was worthwhile. That's certainly the way to look at it. You must always view and be prepared to ride a potential purchase.

Here's his new ad at a ridiculous £4,250............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AJS-350-cc-16 ... 2556210996

'Speedo not working but new one on order . Might swap for a classic car' .

'The bike has been checked all over and it's in perfect working condition'.

Goodness knows the condition of bits you can't see. If I was really desperate for a '56 I might go £1800 absolute max for it, on the basis that I could sort any potential problems, but to be honest I'd rather pay say a grand more and buy a fairly decent one which has been in use by the seller and could be used straight away.

He must be an ex Estate Agent.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'